Gibson Brands Forums

Seymour Duncan Blackouts for my SG?

Jasongd_5

Actives are actives, they're gonna' give you the same "characteristic" sound whatever you put 'em in. If you like that sorta' thing, you'll like them as much in the SG style guitars as the LP style ones. I prefer the Iommi humbuckers for metal (and even though I HATE DiMarzio I'm warming up to the Evolutions for higher-gain 'compensation'-tone), but then again I have a different idea of what "metal" is than the new-school people do. I think thunderous imposing ballsiness and some sheer volume is "heavier" than what I often hear referred to as "metal" by today's brood. I still think Black Sabbath live (I wasn't old enough for the first go 'round, but I was at TWO of the reunion shows at the turn of the century) can spank and humiliate any "metal" band since, with Deep Purple in close tow. But then again, I'm one of those cats who loves the bands that influenced Mecrappica (Diamond Head, Misfits, Diamond Head, Thin Lizzy, Diamond Head...and did I mention Diamond Head???) but I HATE Mecrappica. =; There are some really good higher-output (and higher clarity/articulation) passives out there that are not only hot but very musical. Check out some reviews at harmony-central.com before jumping on the active/metal/"brutal" bandwagon. Might find your own voice that pleases your ears (and others') more than what everyone else is using.

H-Bomb

PS...I must be getting old. When I think of stupid, dope, sick, sickness, etc...I'm not so sure I want my guitars sounding like that...lol

screw blackouts man...unless u wanna be in another nu metal band were everyone play halfassed and doesnt give a damn about the quality of REAL metal. if u wanna play REAL metal either put in EMGs or go with what H-BOMB said and put in Iommi's. that is what u use for metal.

PS...I must be getting old. When I think of stupid' date=' dope, sick, sickness, etc...I'm not so sure I want my guitars sounding like that...lol[/quote']

I agree. I rarely lump 'death metal' or 'nu metal' w/e and all that nonsense into my category of what I consider good music. (And I have an extremely wide range of musical taste) I'm all for metal like Black Sabbith or Metallica, although I can't claim to be a huge fan I enjoy alot of the music. However alot of this newer stuff just seems to be alot of angry yelling and alot of powerchords.

The kid at the guitar shop i go to said i might have problems with finding a place for the battery in the cavity of my SG for active pickups... im sure he just hasn't seen the cavity of a G-400 but im curious if it will work. Any thoughts?

i've seen a turd load of people put actives in sg's. though i'm not a fan in the slightest of actives. i say check at dave mustain's sig set of Duncan's they have more life and tone to them the the standard blah of actives.

you would have to drill another hole in the guitar. the booster is controlled by a mini toggle' date=' which will require a new hole.[/quote']

Or you could sacrifice a tone knob and put it in place there...or replace one of the tones/volumes with a push/pull pot and boost it that way, then the guitar doesn't have an extra hole when you come to your senses and put a set of passives back in it. #-o

H-Bomb

Archived