Gibson Brands Forums

Can anyone identify this please? Mystery Gibson!

The Admiral

Hi I've joined the forum - hoping for a little help......!

This guitar was bought in a junk shop in Boise, Idaho in the early nineties and needs to be identified for the insurance company, as they insist on knowing the model etc and value - neither of which I have any idea about. It has single coils, and a namepleate over the truss rod cover on the headstock, which suggests it might have been a special order originally? I'm thinking it's possibly a 'student' model too. Still plays great - and has it's original hard shell case.

Can anyone shed any light on this mystery guitar?

Thanks, in anticipation of your help...

A

Link to picture : http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww286/TheAdmiralUK/ChristmasNewYearUSA2007058.jpg

It's a Gibson ES-320 model from the early 70's. The serial number would help date it, but if it has "Gibson" embossed on the pickups it's from 71/72 era. It looks all original except it is miss the bridge cover, and I've never seen one with anything except a blank single ply black truss rod cover (so the TRC may not be original).

I've had two of these guitars over the years (a blond one like pictured, and a cherry sunburst), and really liked them (wish I still had the sunburst). They were a "student model" ES but were very unique in their own right, the pickups were the same as the Melody Maker of the same era. Many of these guitars have been heavily modified (butchered)to make them more 335ish, fro the 335 was becoming so popular about the time these came out.

These guitars have no "vintage" or "collectors" value, but were very fine instruments. I do believe someone here on this website has bought one recently, and that would give you a "current market value". Try a queery in the search feature on this website for "ES-320" or a variation thereof. They do pop up on e-bay from time to time, and the "completed auctions" search there might give you some info.

My opinion is these guitars are valued right around the $1000 range.

Archived