Gibson Brands Forums

DR-500MCE strings for D tuning

BeyondTheSteel

Hi guys! Just got myself an Epiphone DR500-MCE in Natural few months ago, love it!

But I've got a baritone voice, so I've tuned the guitar whole step below the standard (suits my voice better), adjusted the truss rod and it's great.

However, i feel like these strings (still stock ones, .012 - 0.053 i believe) don't fit the tuning, I'd prefer 6th string to be a little heavier and brighter tone all-around.

So what strings would you recommend for D standard for my guitar? Any folks here with same guitar & tuning?

Thanks

Hi guys! Just got myself an Epiphone DR500-MCE in Natural few months ago, love it!

But I've got a baritone voice, so I've tuned the guitar whole step below the standard (suits my voice better), adjusted the truss rod and it's great.

However, i feel like these strings (still stock ones, .012 - 0.053 i believe) don't fit the tuning, I'd prefer 6th string to be a little heavier and brighter tone all-around.

So what strings would you recommend for D standard for my guitar? Any folks here with same guitar & tuning?

Thanks

As you drop the string tension to lower pitch, you're going to want to go up a gauge or two to compensate for it. Ask yourself how "sloppy" or loose the strings feel to you right now. If it's only a slight thing you notice, try going up to 13's. If it plays really lousy and you have problems keeping the guitar in tune, you may want to jump to 14s.

Yeah man beyond the steel has it right .;)

I find 13s work for me for D and open C though one reason I won't go higher is I use the same guitar for different tunings and tuning back up with 13s or higher is like setting bridge support cables my fingers aren't tractor trailers lol

Archived