Gibson Brands Forums

ToneStyler vs. Varitone

creekster52

I have a '94 Gibson Hawk (body similar to Nighthawk). It was originally H/H with a single tone/single volume. A previous owner added a third pot, and it is currently configured as vol/vol/tone. I prefer a single volume/tone configuration, and was considering adding a Varitone to replace the 3rd pot. I ran across the ToneStyler, and wondered if anyone has any experience with them as an alternative to the Varitone.

I have also posted this in the Gibson forum, but the Epiphone forum seems more responsive.

I have a '94 Gibson Hawk (body similar to Nighthawk). It was originally H/H with a single tone/single volume. A previous owner added a third pot, and it is currently configured as vol/vol/tone. I prefer a single volume/tone configuration, and was considering adding a Varitone to replace the 3rd pot. I ran across the ToneStyler, and wondered if anyone has any experience with them as an alternative to the Varitone.

I have also posted this in the Gibson forum, but the Epiphone forum seems more responsive.

I have not tried that one, but did install a BigD Guitars Vari-tone switch, in my ZBD. With 3 pickups and only one tone knob, it wasn't cutting it. Changing to the BigD was a reversable mod that worked a lot better. I did a side-by-side comparison with a Lucille and found that the preset tones much more usable. I will say that the install was easy, but that was in a full depth jazz box. Might be a little tougher in a semi-hollow or Les Paul type guitar. All in all, a definite upgrade, a quality piece.

IMG_07291_zps2c7e071d.jpg

I have not tried that one, but did install a BigD Guitars Vari-tone switch, in my ZBD. With 3 pickups and only one tone knob, it wasn't cutting it. Changing to the BigD was a reversable mod that worked a lot better. I did a side-by-side comparison with a Lucille and found that the preset tones much more usable. I will say that the install was easy, but that was in a full depth jazz box. Might be a little tougher in a semi-hollow or Les Paul type guitar. All in all, a definite upgrade, a quality piece.

IMG_07291_zps2c7e071d.jpg

I just sent Derek an email to request dimensions of his switches. Thanks Tweed2!

• 4 years later...
On 5/23/2020 at 12:41 PM, Bluesformiles said:

Not sure about the Tonestyler...though I have done some research on them.  One would think that they would just make the long version and that would fit in any or most instruments. Being customer friendly. I own a Gibson SG 50s Tribute with custom mods. Coil tap. Blend control. P90 in the neck and zebra in the bridge. Bigsby B5.  Very nicely made and really sounds great. Lots of choices.  Talked to the people at Stellartone...seem nice enough. Convinced me to give the Tonestyler a try. I'm always in the hunt for better tone options. So...I'm going to give them a try and I'll let anyone who is interested...how things turn out.