Gibson Brands Forums

ES 355 Pro Iced Tea Limited Edition

355Pulse

Having recently bought a Gibson Memphis ES 355, I've been contemplating letting my Epi 335 Pro Iced Tea Limited Edition go. It's a cracking guitar but in reality isn't in the same league as the Gibson, although I personally think the Epi is the best 335 guitar you can buy in that price sector by a long way.

Anyway, to get to the point I've heard a few murmurs that Epi aren't producing this guitar any more and it could quickly become quite sought after although I have no idea how many of these Epiphone produced - has anyone heard anything similar?

When I bought the Epi approximately a year ago the guitar tech who sold it to me said the "Iced Tea" finish was considered rare as well as Alnico Classic PRO™ pickups with coil-splitting being an added bonus.

Your experience is interesting and identical to mine re Gibson v Epiphone.

I had bought an Epiphone ES345 cherry when they came out as at the time there was zero chance of me affording a s/h Gibson ES345. However, I got a good insurance payout which was coincident on Gibson Memphis bringing out reissue 1959 ES345s and so, quite unexpectedly I was able to afford one in my favourite sunburst finish.

I had revamped my Epiphone to the max with new aftermarket almost everything but it still just wasn't in the same league as the Gibson - nowhere near it.

But re your dilemma. I think the advice you got was probably right. I presume your Epi ES335 is a sunburst iced tea finish in which case I think it is likely to be "desirable".

Your experience is interesting and identical to mine re Gibson v Epiphone.

I had bought an Epiphone ES345 cherry when they came out as at the time there was zero chance of me affording a s/h Gibson ES345. However, I got a good insurance payout which was coincident on Gibson Memphis bringing out reissue 1959 ES345s and so, quite unexpectedly I was able to afford one in my favourite sunburst finish.

I had revamped my Epiphone to the max with new aftermarket almost everything but it still just wasn't in the same league as the Gibson - nowhere near it.

But re your dilemma. I think the advice you got was probably right. I presume your Epi ES335 is a sunburst iced tea finish in which case I think it is likely to be "desirable".

Very interesting and yes your experience almost identical to mine. I too have replaced pretty much everything on the Epiphone 335 (and kept the original parts) and it's a great guitar in it's own right but as you say, it's nowhere near comparable to my Gibson Memphis 355.

The Epi is a "ES-335 PRO Limited Edition" and is in sunburst iced tea and does looks really eye catching and I haven't seen another one in any of the guitar shops I've been in since I bought it. On-line they showing as "Unavailable" so I think I'll be holding on to this for a while longer even though in reality I probably won't play it now I've got the real thing.

Archived