Gibson Brands Forums

Epi 6832B

Ms.Lefty

There isn't much info out there about the early Japanese Epi acoustics, but I have read some posts that talk about the 6832 and 6832E (I believe). I have a model that was probably made in 1970-71, since it has the Kalamazoo label but the Made in Japan plate engraving. There is no serial number on the label, but it clearly says 6832B. I think it's a smaller guitar than the 6832, but it has the same decorative design around the soundhole and those cheap white plastic tuning pegs that I thought looked so fancy when I bought it back in 1972 or so. My particular model has been altered, since I play left-handed. I took the guitar out of its case only a day ago, since my go-to acoustic (a Seagull) is in the shop. I know the Epi is a cheap guitar, but it has sentimental value to me and plays ok. Any comments or info is appreciated! I've attached a photo of myself playing the guitar in 1974. Don't have any recent photos (yet).post-77646-005017300 1458164387_thumb.jpg

Hello and welcome! The guitar appears to be a 000-size model, but beyond that I can't really offer much information. There were many Japanese Epi's produced throughout the 70s and a host of different models. I recall owning at least two back then, neither of which corresponded to the guitar in your photo, although both were 000s. Both were decent players and sounded OK, too. If memory serves, they had more Martin than Gibson tone. Wouldn't surprise me if someone on the forum had some substantive information for you. Meantime, enjoy your guitar and - again - welcome aboard!

Thanks for the warm welcome, Old Cowboy! I hope you're right and somebody knows a little more about my old Epi. I'm thinking it may be a Japanese guitar (Aria?) that was rebranded with the Epiphone paper label - note that there's no "E" on the pickguard. That doesn't explain the Epi logo on the headstock, though. Curiouser and curiouser.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Old Cowboy! I hope you're right and somebody knows a little more about my old Epi. I'm thinking it may be a Japanese guitar (Aria?) that was rebranded with the Epiphone paper label - note that there's no "E" on the pickguard. That doesn't explain the Epi logo on the headstock, though. Curiouser and curiouser.

Yes. Your Epiphone is indeed a Matsumoku(Aria)-(manufactured in Japan) instrument. Since it uses the "6832" nomenclature it can also be determined that it was made in 1971(after 1971 this model used the"FT-135" model designation). The 6832 was an all-laminated "000" (Grand Concert) sized guitar with a laminated spruce top, laminated rosewood back and sides and mahogany-like (nato?) neck. It's very likely that yours was a very early example of the Epiphone Japanese imports owing to the model number. 6832 being used for the "000" sized version while "6833" (sometimes with an "E" (possibly for "Epiphone) alpha suffix was used for the dreadnought-sized model. The "Cortez" model name was also added to and used on the later FT-135 version. These guitars were not the best guitars ever made or the worst. They are subject to having the neck pockets collapse but when in good repair can be well-playing viable guitars. Current value for one in good shape is ~ $125-$175. They street priced at around $100 when new in 1971. After the creation of Norlin as the parent company of Gibson and Epiphone in December of 1969, Epiphone domestic production ceased (In August of 1970 though some Epiphone instruments were shipped from Kalamazoo into early 1971) and a line of re-badged Aria guitars appeared in 1971 replacing the domestically produced Epiphone guitars to compete with the lower-priced imported instruments that were flooding the marketplace. Hope that helps.

Yes, Gralst, it helps quite a bit! Thank you so much for your comments. I remember thinking 100 bucks was a huge amount when I bought the guitar - I suppose it WAS for a teenager. Luckily, I had some savings from singing in a cover band at the time.

You mention: "They are subject to having the neck pockets collapse but when in good repair can be well-playing viable guitars." I'm not up-to-speed on guitar terminology, so I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Does the problem have to do with the fact that the neck is bolted on instead of a set one?

Thanks again for the info.

Yes, Gralst, it helps quite a bit! Thank you so much for your comments. I remember thinking 100 bucks was a huge amount when I bought the guitar - I suppose it WAS for a teenager. Luckily, I had some savings from singing in a cover band at the time.

You mention: "They are subject to having the neck pockets collapse but when in good repair can be well-playing viable guitars." I'm not up-to-speed on guitar terminology, so I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Does the problem have to do with the fact that the neck is bolted on instead of a set one?

Thanks again for the info.

More or less.

The neck pocket is the part of the body the neck sits in (you probably knew that). It's quite common on a lot of these old Epi's for that part of the guitar to cave or "collapse" toward the bridge from string tension over the years. But this happens on set-neck (glued on) neck guitars too.

If and when it happens, makes a problem because the distance from nut to bridge changes, making intonation (tuning) off, and affects string height. Because it's a bolt on neck, many times it's remedied by shimming, because that's easiest. But that causes it to get worse faster because the CAUSE isn't addressed. So, as a result, you see a lot of these old Epi's with bad neck pockets. Not to mention most of the time, a proper repair usually cost more than the guitar is worth.

In this day and age, regardless of how much the guitar is worth in money terms, it's REAL cool to see or know of one still in action, being played and loved. A time capsule for sure.

Archived