Gibson Brands Forums

2015 J-45 - installing Fishman Aura Ellipse

U-Bahn

Hello all,

I am new to this forum. Perhaps the first member from Slovenia. For my 40th birthday, I'm going to buy me my first Gibson Acoustic - a J-45 Ebony Gala - this is a limited series 2015 model if I'm not mistaken.

My only issue is that I really don't like the way the built-in LR Baggs Element VTC sounds straight into PA. Sure, I could buy a Fishman Aura pedal, but I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. I know that the Aura system does wonders as I played a borrowed Martin with it at an open mic session.

I could get a Fishman Ellipse Aura Narrow for a good price. So my questions are as follows:

- would the Aura Ellipse preamp fit into the J-45 soundhole (probably yes - a circle is, after all, a circle) and how difficult is it to replace the LR Baggs? I would most likely have a luthier do it;

- does one need to replace only the preamp or the UST piezo as well - and if yes, how much of a hassle is that? From what I understand, the LR Baggs piezo itself is better than the Fishman, but it's still a piezo, whereas the Aura preamp - thanks to its digital wizardry - is much better sounding (very realistic) than the LR Baggs.

I would appreciate if someone shared their opinion on this. Thanks in advance and keep on strummin'!

Archived