Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone else with an Epi Les Paul uke?

staylor

Just got an Epi Les Paul uke for my lovely wife for her birthday. This is a really attractive instrument, but when we play it through a Roland Cube 30, the pickup captures more of the sound of our fingers against the strings than the notes coming from the strings themselves. Even if I fingerpick very softly at low volume on a clean amp setting, there's a thudding effect through the amp. Just to be sure it wasn't the amp, we alternated between the new uke and an old Strat, and the Strat sounds as good as always.

We understand that it's not an expensive uke and has its limits. If I can do some upgrades to turn it into something my wife will really enjoy, it'll be worth every penny I put into it because it's a gift for her to have fun with.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and how did you resolve it? If you have one of these ukes, how do you like it? Thanks!

Well, this is an acoustic/electric so the response of the Piezo pickup will differ from the sound of your strat.

I've never played one of these guitars, but if I've played a number of acoustic electric guitars and you definitely will want to fiddle with the knobs a bit more. Playing an acoustic electric thru a regular guitar amp will result in a 'boomy' sound.

I have one and it's a pretty little thing. Can't really help you as I haven't really played it much plugged in (except with the distortion cranked to see how it sounded). Acoustically it isn't that great sounding, but it is fun to just noodle around with on the front porch. I don't remember it sounding too bad amplified. Sorry, I guess I'm not any help at all.

Archived