Gibson Brands Forums

Price Check: Gibson USA 61 RI w/ Lyre Vib.

fatnecks

I've seen them go (due to their discontinued status and rarity) for anywhere from $1800 to $2300, depending on condition. I bought the one I wish I hadn't sold NEW for $1300 back in 1999, but it'd be more like 2k if they were to reintroduce that guitar today.

For what it's worth, if you're interested I have a spare near-complete, near-mint one (I think it's a 2001 model) I'm thinking of selling. It's missing the Maestro (he had used it to restore another guitar temporarily but never switched them back), but all the original parts otherwise are there (all stock '57 Classic pickups, Gibson Deluxe tuners, Gibson electronics, coveted brown/pink hardshell case, etc) and haven't been removed. I took it as a trade from someone who owed me a lot of money. No stoptail holes were added or anything like that, no mods to this one at all. It's not faded cherry, it's the Heritage Cherry that they USED to use, and is closer to the originals' red finish, and aside from one tiny little ding under where the Maestro arm pivoted at the screw and one little indention on the rear edge (neither through the finish and totally hidden from view) it is mint and unplayed. I think I even have a spare '61 pickguard with the film and decal so it could be "made new" if you could find a tailpiece (and we know those pop up on eBay all the time in various forms). Considering it's missing that piece I wouldn't ask nearly what a dealer would, and everyone knows me here and they know I wouldn't have accepted a turkey into my flock so you'd like what you got for sure. Lemme' know if you're interested, I'll give you dibs (and if he's not, anyone forum buds who are may contact me if you'd like to add one of these beauties to your stash).

H-Bomb

Yeah they're in the high end of your range. As far as yours goes, mainly I'm in this for the Lyre. I've got a Special Run 61 RI in Blue that's cool, but I'm really lookng for a Vibrola. I used to have a Firebird VII and I sold it b/c on the whole it was a toneless piece, but I loved the Lyre. So yours really wouldn't be what I'd be looking for unless I could find a replacement Vibrola and do the whole shot under 2k. UNLESS, you'd be interested in a trade.

I've got a Cherry '03 Standard that I'm probably going to move to acquire this other piece. Great shape, beautiful finish. I put CTS pots and Sprague's in it with a push/pull on the neck tone for phase reversal. Black modern case. Interested?

6 months ago I'd have worked a deal out for a trade just to get an extra stage guitar, but now I'm more interested in clearing out this one to get it into someone's hands who will get her play-worthy again and the only non-dream-SG guitar I need for the flock is a nice Tele. Shoot me a private message and let me know what you had in mind regarding the trade, but also keep in mind I'm sure I could probably work something out with you on the Maestro-less project to keep you under 2K even after buying a Maestro. Make me an offer and I'll see what I can do. I'll consider reasonable offers. Give it some thought and get back to me.

H-Bomb

Ya know I think I'm gonna pass. It's not that I don't trust you or anything. I've actually considered putting a Lyre on this Std. I've actually been shocked at my luck of NOT being able to find a decent Lyre and/or what they went for. There's one on eBay right now that's gonna go over $400..... Seems kinda crazy to pay that for a piece of hardware, but maybe I'm just cheap.

Then I gotta get it all together, etc. I got a 2 year old and another baby coming soon, so a project ain't exactly what I'm looking for. Good luck with finding a good home for that unit.

As for Tele's, man I've got a run-of-the-mill Am Std Tele that's a 99 that I love. It's like a metallic purple that I don't really like, but the damn thing sounded so good I bought it anyway, new. I've looked at some pimp 52RI's and even the new Hot Rodded 52RI's, but in the end I keep coming back to the one I've already got.

Anyway, thanks for the price check, later.......

Archived