Gibson Brands Forums

Tusq better than bone with piezo pickups?

Matt the Cat

Hi Guys,

I know the tusq/bone debate goes on and on but I have a question regarding the specific use with piezo USTs.

I've seen claims that Tusq is better than bone when used with USTs. Is this true? If it is, I'm willing to sacrifice (or not) my 'unplugged' tone for a better 'plugged-in' tone.

All opinions gratefully received.

Thanks Matt

One good thing is that Tusq is about $10 retail. So keep your bone saddle and if you don't like the Tusq you haven't lost much. The Tusq is more than twice as good as any kind of plastic saddle. Why? It's dense (like bone) and sound travels better in a dense material. But in addition to traveling better you only want it it travel once (you do not want a lot of reverberation -- for example iron: brittle). You are bringing out the Sonarman in me. We had to study sound (in salt water) at different temperatures (thermocline). When sound travels faster/slower it's direction changes. So does its quality. The spruce is your "transducer stave" and the string is the "ping" you need to get the ping to the transducer stave in something close to identical. (fidelity) (the physics of sound basically). Some of the sounds you make with the guitar will never be heard by the audience (you'll hear it) because your sound mixes with the sax, the trumpet, the flute, voice -- coughing, shoes-on-floors -- and it is traveling in air (a poor conductor)... it degrades all the way to the listener (and you know the story about listeners).

One good thing is that Tusq is about $10 retail. So keep your bone saddle and if you don't like the Tusq you haven't lost much. The Tusq is more than twice as good as any kind of plastic saddle. Why? It's dense (like bone) and sound travels better in a dense material. But in addition to traveling better you only want it it travel once (you do not want a lot of reverberation -- for example iron: brittle). You are bringing out the Sonarman in me. We had to study sound (in salt water) at different temperatures (thermocline). When sound travels faster/slower it's direction changes. So does its quality. The spruce is your "transducer stave" and the string is the "ping" you need to get the ping to the transducer stave in something close to identical. (fidelity) (the physics of sound basically). Some of the sounds you make with the guitar will never be heard by the audience (you'll hear it) because your sound mixes with the sax' date=' the trumpet, the flute, voice -- coughing, shoes-on-floors -- and it is traveling in air (a poor conductor)... it degrades all the way to the listener (and you know the story about listeners). [/quote']

Crikey! But thanks though. Think I'll probably get a Tusq one and compare, as you say it wont cost too much to do.

Matt

Archived