Gibson Brands Forums

Bill Lawrence circuit board

JimeJ

Apparently, Gibson and BL had a major conflict in the late '80's during and after the time that he designed "The Original" which were installed '88-'90 I think and then he was no longer Gibson. (What happened?) Anyway, I've got these in my '88 LP which is on file at Gibson as being a Sunburst '59 RI. We kicked this around last year, but after reading a bit more on BL, that he was a reputable craftsman and 'inventor', I'm curious how many of you have or had the same PU and what the general opinion is. Personally, for my taste, I like them alot................J

Hey there,

Newbie here. Haven't even done and intro yet. But I've got these PU's in my '89 LPstd Cherryburst (I'm original owner). I think they're outstanding. For several years i had the covers off. It surely add brightness and presence to remove, but to a fault. I recently put the covers back on and like them much better in sound and looks. The bridge is a super hot PAF style hence 'the Original' tag and the neck nice and sweet and fat.

I've been scouting them on ebay too recently and it appears my feelings are shared. Single PU's are pricing in the $50-$100 range. And I've seen people asking $200 to $250 + for sets !!

Never have heard why BL and Gibson parted ways but the 2 new books coming out on 'the Les Paul Legacy' may shed some light. The 2nd one 1968-2008 specifically which has yet to be released. i saw the 1st one at Barnes and Noble the other day and don't have the $ right now, but $27 each on Amazon !!

later

Apparently' date=' Gibson and BL had a major conflict in the late '80's during and after the time that he designed "The Original" which were installed '88-'90 I think and then he was no longer Gibson. (What happened?) Anyway, I've got these in my '88 LP which is on file at Gibson as being a Sunburst '59 RI. We kicked this around last year, but after reading a bit more on BL, that he was a reputable craftsman and 'inventor', I'm curious how many of you have or had the same PU and what the general opinion is. Personally, for my taste, I like them alot................J[/quote']

I had 'em in an '89 '59 reissue ("PreHistoric") and really liked them. In fact, when the 57 Classic PAF reissues came out I swapped the Lawrences out for them, but ended up putting the BLs back in as they were clearly better on that particular guitar, which was great. Another one I shoulda kept!

Not sure what happened between Bill Lawrence and Gibson, but f you have a set of these in your late 80s - 90 Gibson don;t just assume they need to be replaced. Pretty fine units.

I had 'em in an '89 '59 reissue ("PreHistoric") and really liked them. In fact' date=' when the 57 Classic PAF reissues came out I swapped the Lawrences out for them, but ended up putting the BLs back in as they were clearly better on that particular guitar, which was great. Another one I shoulda kept!

Not sure what happened between Bill Lawrence and Gibson, but f you have a set of these in your late 80s - 90 Gibson don;t just assume they need to be replaced. Pretty fine units. [/quote']

Thanks sok66. Sorry to hear that you don't have the "PreHistoric" '59 RI... "PreHistoric", I like that and though I don't name all of my guitars, I may have to put a tag on this one. (BTW, I posted to your response in the Semi-Hollow forum. Maybe you have a photo of yours?)...........Thanks................J

Hey there' date='

Newbie here. Haven't even done and intro yet. But I've got these PU's in my '89 LPstd Cherryburst (I'm original owner). I think they're outstanding. For several years i had the covers off. It surely add brightness and presence to remove, but to a fault. I recently put the covers back on and like them much better in sound and looks. The bridge is a super hot PAF style hence 'the Original' tag and the neck nice and sweet and fat.

I've been scouting them on ebay too recently and it appears my feelings are shared. Single PU's are pricing in the $50-$100 range. And I've seen people asking $200 to $250 + for sets !!

Never have heard why BL and Gibson parted ways but the 2 new books coming out on 'the Les Paul Legacy' may shed some light. The 2nd one 1968-2008 specifically which has yet to be released. i saw the 1st one at Barnes and Noble the other day and don't have the $ right now, but $27 each on Amazon !!

later

[b']Thanks Roy and welcome to the forum........My '59 RI is the one on the right in my avatar. Its curious how taking the covers off adds flavor for some people and then for others detracts. I prefer them on and like you, I'm pleased with what they deliver. There are some here that may disregard the BL's and changed them out. Soooo subjective, all these pup choices..................J[/b]

Archived