Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 58 RI 50th Ann.

campfire

My slightly aged pickups (57 classics) are showing spots of rust on them! I don't remember if this is custom shop aging or new rust that I need to remove? If I do need to remove it, how do I do it and still keep the aged look of the pickups? Thanks for any suggestions or help.

How aged are they exactly? You mean pick up covers? Have you been cleaning them with a bleach substance? Bleach will rust anything metal !!

I wouldn't have thought it possible to rust pick ups in normal dry conditions unless of course a chemical has been applied...mainly bleach!

More info please..pics??

Sorry I can't be of any more help, hopefully an expert will come to the rescue.

Regards

Johnny

Yes, I mean the pickup (nickel?) covers. And by aged I mean slightly frosted, not polished or shiny. This whole guitar was made with a slight "patina" so it would look like a real 1958 335. I have never cleaned the pickup covers, or the guitar itself, for that matter. BTW, I live in Florida (USA) and it can get very humid down here. It stays mostly on a guitar stand in my bedroom, or it's in my hands while I'm playing it.

I just want to know if I clean off the rust spots, will it ruin the frosted, aged appearance of the pickups? Thanks.

Campfire

Well I'm no expert here, but I should imagine a high humidity would not do the pick up covers any good. Perhaps you need to keep the guitar in a case with the de-humidifying crystal sachet? I guess you can't get more aged than a rusty pick up cover. What I would do is use an abrasive to get rid of the rust regardless of the aged look and identify why they are rusting..is it as you say...humidity?

Hope that helps

Johnny

Archived