Gibson Brands Forums

Robot / DarkFire electronics for my existing Les Paul

multivir

Hey there,

Does Gibson sell the Dark Fire or Robot electronics separately as an upgrade to existing guitars?

If so - where can I get them?

I love my Les Paul and the Robots that I played so far didn't feel / sound as good as the one that I already own.

Thanks

Mat

- Are the headstocks all the same or will I need to drill any additional holes?

- How about the tailpiece? I've seen that there's a wire going trough the body.

(On the early tronicals that were sold as options, there was a thin cable that went to the rear pickup cavity)

- Can this be done only with the robot or also with a dark fire?

- If it can be done: Can I / should I keep my old pickups? The DF wiring seems to be interesting.

In other words: Have you tried that?

Thanks

Mat

The original Tronical Powertune Kit - no holes were required - it routed flat ribbon wires from Tronical Bridge and Tailpiece via the Bridge PU Hole to control cavity.

Gibson Robots shortened these ribbon cables and used holes directly under the Bridge and Tailpiece.

Same with Dark Fire electronics, which are very different and do require holes under bridge and tailpiece.

But Gibson support will not be with you should problems occur.

I suggest you wait for the Gibson Robot 1, Robot II model that sparks your interest, there will be future expanded line of models in many types.

So the original Tronical kit is not available through Gibson and won't be available anymore in the future?

If I just buy a Robot for the parts, should I go for the SG since it's cheaper? - Are the Tronical parts the same?

What I don't like about the 1st gen robots is that they don't sound as good as the custom shop instruments.

Will there be something like a '59 custom shop dark fire some day (soon)?

Archived