Gibson Brands Forums

Glen Campbells Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent

JayRKjr

Good Morning!
My name is Jay Kantor and I co-own and admin the Glen Campbell Forums.
One of the topics we have worked diligently to create is a topic which covers the guitars Glen used. 
One of Glen's first guitars was a Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent 
We recently were able to secure a picture of the case and a tag which offered the SN# of 85013. We are pretty sure that the earliest we saw Glen with this guitar was around 1954. 

I was hoping that someone could give me an accurate date and explain to me how they came to that conclusion, so that we can provide this information to Glen's fans.
Thank you in advance!
jay

According to Gruhn's Guide To Vintage Guitars (Vol. 2), #85013 corresponds to Epiphone serial numbers used between 1945 & 1950.

The "85" refers specifically to the Zephyr De Luxe Regent model.  The final three digits signify it's ranking within that model's production.

• Like 1

Bobouz...Thank you so very much!

Would you agree with the following based upon that?
If that the Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent was produced between 1948 (but I think the two pickups came in 49) and 1958+ and it was the 13th guitar produced of that model...then its a pretty good chance that it was built in 49?

Thanks, 
jay

epi HOF.jpg

Edited by JayRKjr

Yes, Gruhn’s book lists two pickups & the slider switch appearing in 1949.  In 1950, Epiphone’s “New York” pickups are introduced on this model, which Glen’s instrument does not have.  Along with the serial number info, it logically should be a 1949.

Neat guitar!

• Like 1