Gibson Brands Forums

78 RD Artist, replacement tailpiece

weg

Working on restoring a 78 RD Artist, but I need to find a replacement tailpiece, studs, and bushings.

I pulled the original bushings from the body, because I couldn't find studs that fit. It's not the standard 5/16-24 or M8 x 1.25. The original bushings are also about .5" in diameter, while the replacements I've been able to find are closer to 7/8". I'd rather not have to put a dowel in there and re-drill for the smaller bushings.

Any solutions?

Either go to an older hardware store that has alot of hardware and find bolts that fit and cut the heads off, or,

retap the bushings for the studs you have,or,

find a place that works on old british bikes and try them, an imperial or whitworth fastener may fit.

I happen to have an original Shaller TP-6 fine tuning tailpiece with bushings in great condition (correct for 78 RD Artist) in gold. Originally from a 1980 Les Paul Artist (theft recovery....body and neck thrashed, hardware still good). E-mail me, let's wheel and deal. thunderpigg@hotmail.com I trade gear and parts all the time. Tons of guitar and bass parts and pieces. Ask me...I just may have what you need.

-J. Bone

Archived