Gibson Brands Forums

Special 2 sounds like a ring modulator

waynereed

Just picked up a Special 2 from ebay. Mint condition. Not a scratch on it. Plays fine. (Intonation is off a bit but no biggie.)

Plugged it in, and it sounds terrible. Horrible sounding guitar. And my rig is killer.

FYI: I don't own any low end guitars. I bought this to resell because no one was bidding on it. My rig

is more than impressive. All tube amps. (Fender DR and Marshall) It's my gig rig. No issues.

When I strum a chord it sounds pretty bad. When I pick separate strings, it sounds like I have a ring mod pedal on?!?

Pick ups each work in positions 1, 2 and 3. Volume and tone pots seems to work fine. action is a bit low but not

stupid low. No buzzes. And the pups are at a realistic height, albeit a bit low. But not high. 

Over the note played you hear this weird, metalic kind of pinging. Kinda like if the strings were not tightly seated over

a metalic component. Like a space between the strings and the bridge, which is unlikely. But that's what it sounds like.

I know these are way low end guittars. But based on many videos I just watched they still DO sound like a guitar, not

an effect in a scifi movie! LOL

Any ideas?  Wayne