Gibson Brands Forums

Maestro Bridges

texasVkid88

Just bought a Custom Shop Historic Flying V with a Maestro tailpiece. Any advice for storage in its case? Anytime I close the case it puts pressure on the vibrato bar. I have tried to remove the bar but was told it was not supposed to be removed. Is it alright for some pressure to be on the bar? Anytime I close the case while a note is ringing it goes flat.

Thanks.

On my Explorer with the Maestro, I just point the arm down towards the bottom of the guitar (opposite the direction of the neck).

Which model V is that? I'm a sucker for any guitar with a Maestro/Bigsby. How about a photo?

BTW, a Maestro and a Floyd Rose are about as similar as, ohhh, i don't know...

a Les Paul and a Strat!!!

Beautiful guitar. I've always wanted a V with a Maestro. There are a few guitars on that site that I'll be looking into further.

Here's my Explorer with the bar up and down. In the second photo, you can see where the bar has made a dent in the lid of the case. I have the bar positioned over the tone knob so it can only be pressed down so far.

expvib1.jpg

expvib2.jpg

Just bought a Custom Shop Historic Flying V with a Maestro tailpiece. Any advice for storage in its case? Anytime I close the case it puts pressure on the vibrato bar. I have tried to remove the bar but was told it was not supposed to be removed. Is it alright for some pressure to be on the bar? Anytime I close the case while a note is ringing it goes flat.

Thanks.

Some guys have had similar problems with the angle of the factory supplied arm on their SG's.... Apparently, Allparts sells a reto-fit arm that 'sits' lower, (so that when in the closed case) less pressure is on it. You could look into that.

• 7 months later...

Archived