Gibson Brands Forums

An old 330

stealthpaws

Hi you guys. I've been messing around in the Acoustic threads searching out some info on my old Dove, so I'm not quite BRAND new here...but definitely a newbie. :-({|= I've had this old 330 for 25+ years. I used to play out but haven't for ages. Found myself in a serious financial crunch so I'm thinking of selling this guitar and the Dove. I'm looking for some feedback from people who know guitars and it was suggested to me to try posting here to see if anyone showed any interest in it, either from an appreciation standpoint or interest in buying it. I hope that's ok - I know this isn't a guitar store. :) Anyhow, I made a slide show for it and put it up on my own site so as not to bog the forum down with a bunch of slow loading pics. You can see it here:

http://www.saorsastudios.com/330show/330show.html

Please be gentle...lol. I'm not in the business of selling guitars. I just kept these 2 because out of the 3 Martins, the Harmony, the Fender & assorted cheapos that have come and gone over the years, these 2 were my favorites- so I kept them, just in case I ever went back to playin. That doesn't seem likely anymore so.....

Thanks for your feedback!

Very nice-looking guitar, stealthpaws.

I have no idea what that guitar might be worth, but I am very interested in it if you are willing to ship to Chicago. We can talk about that more, though, once you find some objective information on what it might be worth. I would feel bad assigning values for two reasons: 1. I don't know the ES-330 market well; 2. obviously, I'm biased now, having said I would like to buy it if I could afford it.

My instinct is that I can't afford it, but I'll keep watching the thread to see what develops. I'll also do a bit of research to see what I can discover about value on my side. Keep me in mind once you find a price.

Ignatius

What an absolute beauty! I also would be interested, as I'm sure would anyone else looking at this thread. If I were you I would check the guitar blue book and or call Gruhn's to get an approx. Idea on price. Or if the price is already set in your mind, shoot me an e-mail, maybe we can work something out!

Wow...thanks you guys! I want to contact Gruhn for both this guitar and the Dove, however they require $50 per instrument, and I simply don't have it. I don't know them- and I doubt they'd be willing to check them for free, as it IS their business...lol. I got a rough estimate from a guy @ archtop.com and another from a guy in Austin. The range was pretty extensive, but the Austin guy is a resaler and thus only was telling me how much HE would give me, and the archtop guy works on consignment...so I figure the archtop guy to be more in the general market. Problem is, whether it be blue-book or someone else, I don't know diddly about these guitars so I can't judge what condition it's in to tell them. I think it's in great condition. It's held up better than I have...and it's only 6 years younger! lol. I've been trying to figure out how to get some sound out of it that I could put up on here too, but the last amp I had was an old, HEAVY, twin reverb....which I gave to my old guitar player when I left the band and moved to Texas. Couldn't haul that thing around with me.

Ignatius...I could probably get it up there if you wanted it; I'd have to have it professionally packed. It's in a gig bag- but I'm told that actually can be a plus when shipping. BUT....I spend 3 mos a year up there in the summer, just north of Chicago...so if I still have it, I could bring it. Besides, wouldn't you want to play it first-- touch it, fondle it.... scuze me. I get carried away.....

XXX it's YOUR fault with that nic...putting ideas into my head....lmao. I don't get to Seattle...although it's tops on my list of places in the US I'd like to go. Same issue w/shipping.

I'm going to try to see if anyone nearby has an amp I can plug into, to at least make sure everything still works. If I can figure a way, I'll record a little something so ppl can at least get an idea...although maybe just a phone would work better...lol. Ok...nuff outta me.

Oh...before it happens again...I'm female & 51. Everyone I meet on forums (of any kind) seems to think I'm a guy.

Hi stealthpaws--

If you still have it and we could work out a meeting, that would be great. But that is secondary to your concern about how to price.

I have worked with Joe at archtop.com. In fact, he did some very nice restoration work on my ES-125, and I bought one of the best guitar cases that I have ever owned from him. I trust him quite a bit. People who have seen his work often don't SEE it, if you know what I mean: they think everything is original, right down to the minor refinishes he did and how well he aged the replacement parts. He gave me an appraisal of my guitar, and it is on the high side (which is great for insurance replacement purposes) but might be only what the price could bear in an ideal market. That being said, if I shaved 25-30% off his appraisal, I think I would have a good starting point for negotiations if I were selling my guitar.

Have you looked at gbase.com (click the name to go there)? They are a sort of clearinghouse website where many dealers put their guitars and guitar equipment on sale. Again, I think the prices are where negotiations start, rather than where they end, but you might be able to look at some pictures and draw some comparisons. Lastly, of course, there is always ebay. The prices tend to inflate there from the excitement of bidding, but they are a possibility that should be added into the mix.

In other words, you might do a search of ranges at the various places and come up with an estimate that way. Based on those estimates, I am probably out of your market demographic because I am seeing some nice prices for the ES-330, depending on the condition. As you say, playability would be crucial. I should add that I just saw one similar to yours but a couple years younger in the "special room" at Guitar Center going for about $3000 as its starting point. I don't recall what they considered the pre-discount price. I am not sure that number is correct, though; if the guitar is solid and plays well, it probably should sell for more, and I say that as someone whose bank account tops out somewhere below where I am saying you should say no lower. I think you do have a beauty there worth some money.

Ignatius

I also should add that Elderly Instruments buys guitars outright. You can visit them by clicking here. They have an online form in which you can type info concerning your guitar, and they usually respond with three options: trade value, consignment value, and outright sell to them value. In the past, they have told me all these prices and what they hope they might sell the guitar for. In the end, then, you get several options from a reputable source, including a nice estimate of what you might try to sell it for as well if you choose to sell it yourself.

Thank you Ignatius! You have some great suggestions. I liked the guy at archtop too...he was really pleasant in his mail, seemed fair, and was really quick. I'll do some more hunting around, follow your great suggestions and post back here when I get something more definitive.

Have a fabulous Friday (night) and whoever's playing tonight, play one for me. O:)

P.S.....ok...I've contacted Elderly Instruments and went ahead and emailed Gruhn anyway. I figure all they can do is say no. Or they might trust me to pay them when I can...who knows. Anyhow, have a good one and thanks again

Archived