Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 'HSL4' L-4C Confirmation

PJTK

Hello All,  hoping to get some commentary on a guitar we have received for consignment, what would be a reissue of an L-4C.   We handle more than a few guitars of all ages and types, this one is presenting questions I'd like to answer accurately. 

The guitar in question has a label reading ‘L-4’ as the model,  but is otherwise an L-4C in a light cherry burst, with pickguard mounted pickup. 

The COA, unlike the label, lists the model as HSL4, which I assume means ‘Historic Series L-4’.    The serial number is 20412001,  which seems to suggest 2022 construction (Feb 10 2022).    Would this be correct,  were these available in 2022 and is this model still offered?     The very light wear and finish condition do support that year and light to moderate professional use. 

Also,  

is there any general information about the Historic Series, if that’s the correct name?  Web searches mostly return Les Paul models, and the Gibson site does not really mention traditional archtops anymore. 

Any light shed is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards!

• 2 weeks later...

I have some information about this guitar. I actually had it at my home in 2008 and took some photos of it (see below). It was for sale at my brother’s store at the time (Murch Music in Cambridge ON). Fortunately, I am able to zoom in on one of the photos and read the serial number, which confirms it is the same guitar. It may not have been brand new in 2008, so I can’t say for sure when it was made,  but it is not a 2022 model for sure. 
Keith

IMG_2155.jpeg

Untitled.jpeg

Edited by floatingpickup