Gibson Brands Forums

Practice ! Practice ! Practice! Interesting Artical

suburude63

Sounds like my music teacher =)

By practicing in this way, performers delay the automatizing process. The mind wants to turn deliberate, newly learned skills into unconscious, automatically performed skills. But the mind is sloppy and will settle for good enough. By practicing slowly, by breaking skills down into tiny parts and repeating, the strenuous student forces the brain to internalize a better pattern of performance.

Then our young writer would find a mentor who would provide a constant stream of feedback, viewing her performance from the outside, correcting the smallest errors, pushing her to take on tougher challenges. By now she is redoing problems — how do I get characters into a room — dozens and dozens of times. She is ingraining habits of thought she can call upon in order to understand or solve future problems.

Thanks for sharing this, suburude63. As described in the column, that is exactly how I approach practicing guitar. Measure by measure.

And by most standards, my practice routine would be considered very, very boring. :-)

Archived