Gibson Brands Forums

1907 Gibson L-1

mattL1

Hello, I was wondering if anyone here knows of any Gibson guitar patent sites for this guitar? I purchased this a few months back and am doing some work to it and wanted to make sure things are in order first. Also, I am looking for an original fixed bridge (or design) for this guitar as well. When I bought it, it had an aftermarket tailpiece and floating bridge on it and the previous owner said that someone changed it at some point. I am looking to returning this guitar back to its original configuration. Any info or guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, mattL1 said:

Hello, I was wondering if anyone here knows of any Gibson guitar patent sites for this guitar? I purchased this a few months back and am doing some work to it and wanted to make sure things are in order first. Also, I am looking for an original fixed bridge (or design) for this guitar as well. When I bought it, it had an aftermarket tailpiece and floating bridge on it and the previous owner said that someone changed it at some point. I am looking to returning this guitar back to its original configuration. Any info or guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Ooh, nice.  post some pics!

I have a 1910 L-1 and it has the original patent applied for tail piece with the original celluloid tortoise, and the original floating bridge.  The luthier shifted the bridge back a tad to improve the intonation, and you can see where the finish matches the current bridge.  Just fyi, the tail piece patent was approved in late 1910 so you’ll want to find a patent applied for one.  Have you found the website with the history of the early Gibsons? I think I saved the link.  I’ll try to find it. I think I recall all the pre-teen ones had a floating bridge, but I could well be wrong.  

Here’s some picks of mine

p3X1keU.jpg

PXQxamo.jpg

n54LmSE.jpg

Good luck on your project, keep us posted.  It’s a great sounding little guitar!

Edited by PrairieDog
Realized I posted the wrong pic. Added the tuners.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Prairie Dog......that is in wonderful condition. How does it play and sound?

Oh it’s great! Even with the old baseball neck it’s really comfortable, even for my smaller hands.  It’s hard to describe, it’s not the same sounding as a modern guitar but it has a great plucky (not plunky) old-time/bluesy sound, but with surprising presence and voice, which I think the bridge adjustment back a bit helped with.  I got it for a song, because it wasn’t what the usually more electric clientele were looking for.  I scored a nearly giveaway1926 The Gibson Banjo along with it.  Again, nobody shopping there was into banjos.  I think it was from the same person, because it was in the same nearly perfect condition, well, except for the dead life forms in the case, and solid three inches of spider webs we took out of the pot, 😆

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

Here's the photos of my 1907 Gibson. I have looked on the earlygibson site and found no patent info just some Factory Order number and Serial number info. This guitar's number is 5507 which I believe dates it just into 1907. In 1906 and 1907, I read that Gibson made some slotted headstock guitars without "The Gibson" logo at the top of the headstock and from some other early Gibson info I saw many pics of the fixed ebony bridges for the L1 guitars made prior to 1908. Still trying to locate patent info and any info on the fixed ebony bridge if it's even out there. I contacted Gibson and they don't have either.  Another question: Any ideas on how to get the soundboard looking any better than it currently looks without taking it to a luthier? Thanks!

IMG_5864.JPG

IMG_5866.JPG

IMG_5862.JPG

IMG_5863.JPG

Wow, oh that baby does need some love.  But so cool.  Neat that you have the remnant of a photo label.  That finish does tell a story doesn’t it?  it looks like it got wet maybe, or doused in oil?   It’s kinda a trade off, you can make it look prettier, but you’d be losing the original patina, such as it is. I’m assuming yours has the micro checking mine does, in which case be prepared that surface polishes could make things worse, as it can get in the tiny cracks and under the finish.  

Even if you don’t have them do it, it might be worth taking to a luthier just for a consult. If it got into oil or something, that could make refinishing a bit trickier, just some extra steps but each one comes with a bit of extra thought.  

Just fyi, My research go-tos would also be the state historical society, or the library of Congress/Smithsonian.  They may have other documents/artifacts that could give you clues for what you are looking for.  I tried doing a  quick Google Patent search but didn’t find much but you have to be pretty specific in the search terms sometimes to get good hits, and I admit I only tried a couple of variations. 

Good luck.  

Posted (edited)

Oh, I was wondering why this post isn’t getting much traction, knowing how this would be right up some folks alley, and I just saw you posted  in a sort of dead cul de sac of the board, meant literally to provide user feedback to the forum.  I strongly suggest you repost this out in the Acoustic section where far more people hang out.  There  LOTs of far more knowledgable folks there. There is also a vintage section too, but that is also a quieter space.  

Edited by PrairieDog

On 6/4/2024 at 2:32 PM, PrairieDog said:

Ooh, nice.  post some pics!

I have a 1910 L-1 and it has the original patent applied for tail piece with the original celluloid tortoise, and the original floating bridge.  The luthier shifted the bridge back a tad to improve the intonation, and you can see where the finish matches the current bridge.  Just fyi, the tail piece patent was approved in late 1910 so you’ll want to find a patent applied for one.  Have you found the website with the history of the early Gibsons? I think I saved the link.  I’ll try to find it. I think I recall all the pre-teen ones had a floating bridge, but I could well be wrong.  

Here’s some picks of mine

p3X1keU.jpg

PXQxamo.jpg

n54LmSE.jpg

Good luck on your project, keep us posted.  It’s a great sounding little guitar!

Thank you for your insight! I am new to this forum and will post in the Acoustic section.