Gibson Brands Forums

New member from Michigan

I recently acquired a 2019 J-45 Standard, so this seemed like a good place to be.  I’ve had a few Gibsons over the decades starting with an SG in the 80s. It was my main guitar during the high school and college band days.  I foolishly sold it when I moved away and was playing more acoustic stuff.  My next Gibson was a 1998 J-60.  I installed a passive LR Baggs sound hole pickup and it has been my workhorse guitar for the last 15-20 years. When I got back into playing in a band, I tried an ES-339 for a few years, but decided that I liked teles and strats better. The one Gibson electric I would like to try someday is a Les Paul Special with P90s (TV Yellow, of course).  Anyway, so far, I’m really enjoying the J-45.  I like to play fingerpicking blues stuff, and find it holds up well against my Martin 000-28.  I'm also looking forward to plugging it in with the new band. I expect it will cut through the mix a but better than the J-60.

—Tom

• Like 1