Gibson Brands Forums

SteinbergerXT2 low frettissue

ED_R

I bought a white XT-2 from ZZounds in June, and it came to me with a low 2nd fret that could not be adjusted out. So ,I exchanged it, and just got the replacement today, and it has the same exact problem, so it's also going back.  Someone needs to tell Gibson to tell the Chinese factory to check their fret machine, or the Pleck settings,or something, because 2 instruments having the same flaw is definitely a manufacturing thing.

You have the Zero fret (fret 1 that takes the place of the nut on regular guitars) then you have the first fret (fret 2 on headless neck) to fret F on sixth string then you have the second fret to fret F# (fret 3 on headless neck) on the sixth string. You are saying that when you fret F# it frets out and does not play? I am just trying to understand correctly.

I had heard that some of the Spirit guitars were actually coming in with the frets spaced wrong I am wondering if this is part of that issue?

I would have the company you are buying from check it before the ship it.

Zero fret, 1 fret, 2 fret... it's the 2 fret. F# in your terminology. The instruments are all in a warehouse that's shared by multiple companies, one is ini New Jersey and the other is somewhere else, and the warehouse is in Mississippi, I think, soit would be difficult to have them check it.

I want Gibson to know about this  so they can go correct the problem, My Spirit Pro Deluxe is fine, it's my Spirit XT-2.

I am returning the second , have ordered a third, and if the third is the same way then someone really needs to do something about it before it costs them .

Thanks for the clarification!

At one time I had a contact within the company. The person in Gibson that was over Steinberger. He was in the Epiphone division of Gibson but he no longer works there so no telling who it is now since the big change there. I am not even sure that Gibson actually looks at this forum. I have not heard many comments that showed much confidence in how the business is being run so I hope you have luck letting them know and I hope your next XT-2 is a good one!

I expect it'll be the same as the previous two, but I really want one bad enough to pay  $400  to repair a $449 instrument. I am an idiot and it'll likely be the last piece I buy from a Gibson brand if they don't do something about it.

Posted (edited)

This is just a fan forum, Gibson doesn’t interact with posts here, as far as we know.  Just a friendly hall monitor to keep us in line. If you have an issue the best thing to do is to call/write Gibson directly if you want to give them a heads up about the quality.  Just wondering, did you happen to catch the serial number on the first one?  Maybe ZZounds screwed up and just shipped you back the same guitar because they had it handy.  I’ve seen worse happen before.  

Edited by PrairieDog

I eailed Gibson Customer Support and let them know, and about 5 days later they emailed me saying 'thanks, we'll take it from here', which is another wa of saying 'you're shouting into a black hole, you know...'

I talked with a sales guy at AMS and a sales guy at ZZounds and they both said the same thing, someone will do a stock check and see if they really ARE out of spec ( as if the three I have bought and returned aren't enough of an indicator - sure, why believe ME?!)  but nobody offered to help me with any f my purchses or do the right thing by ME.

Screw them.

One would think that the company making them (not Gibson, the company actually making the guitars) would at least want to know because they may get stuck in the end.

Maybe you can find a good used one. I don't own any Spirits but I do have a few with R-Trems. I think I still have two GR-4s (with the R-Trem) the rest are Tramstrem guitars and a couple of basses. You can see a few in the picture I attached.

Musicroom2.jpg

Edited by r2bflash
Correct grammer
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, ED_R said:

I eailed Gibson Customer Support and let them know, and about 5 days later they emailed me saying 'thanks, we'll take it from here', which is another wa of saying 'you're shouting into a black hole, you know...'

I talked with a sales guy at AMS and a sales guy at ZZounds and they both said the same thing, someone will do a stock check and see if they really ARE out of spec ( as if the three I have bought and returned aren't enough of an indicator - sure, why believe ME?!)  but nobody offered to help me with any f my purchses or do the right thing by ME.

Screw them.

So did you actually submit a warranty claim?  Manufacturing defects are usually covered under a warranty.  Did you try to get the repair work covered and they blew you off?  Or did you just email and say, “hey, the frets sucked on three tries?”  If you did the first and they didn’t cover the work, then yes, that sucks and you are right, screw them.  If you only did the second, after returning all three, well, what did you expect them to do? You gave them a heads up there was a qa/qc issue, and they said ”thanks.”  But if you don’t have the guitars anymore, and never took the steps to get the repair covered, well, there’s not exactly anything Gibson can do about it, to “make you right.” The shop took care of you when they returned your money.  

Edited by PrairieDog