Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge Movement

Jim H

I was changing the strings on a recently bought used guitar when I noticed that the bridge has some play in it. It seems that the posts, even though screwed in to the right height to the anchors, has play - I can rattle it around. I tried other posts and it was the same.

Before I go out and buy more anchors I thought I’d ask you for your opinions. 
Another problem I have while setting up is I can’t get the high E string to clear the back of the bridge and still keep intoation. All others are fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Edited by Jim H

The loose fit should mitigate itself under string tension. As for the high E - can you turn that saddle around? You can also lower that end of the bridge a bit, but I don't think it's a show-stopper if the string does touch the back of the bridge as long as it isn't extreme. My Les Paul is like that and I don't worry about it. YMMV.

Thanks, 10. 
I tried turning a saddle around once, didn’t turn out well. Maybe I’ll practice on an old spare bridge. 

The high E does sound good so I’ll leave that one alone. 

I only play for enjoyment but I’m a detail freak

TonePros bridges have a 5/32” nut and a thin washer to remove.  At that time I didn’t have the proper tools. Tried to make due with what I had.

The one I did today just had a screw and a spring. Real easy.

• Like 1