Gibson Brands Forums

Buying a House

tuckomf

My wife and I have saved everything aside from rent, phone, and utilities over the past year and a half, and we have a sizeable down payment to put toward a house. With the market being the way it is, it seems crazy not to. We've been debating a few things though. I want a house in the country, and she wants something closer to town. I'd like something on the low end of our price range that we can fix up to build equity and have lower tax payments, and she'd like something we can buy under fair market value and live in without any upgrades. Since we're first time home buyers, we're wondering if any of you have any suggestions as far as what to look for and what to avoid in regards to location, structural style, acreage, and other such things. I've done painting, carpeting, drywall, and plumbing as a vocation, so when it comes to fixing anything but electrical, I'm like a fish in water. Any thoughts?

My wife and I have saved everything aside from rent' date=' phone, and utilities over the past year and a half, and we have a sizeable down payment to put toward a house. With the market being the way it is, it seems crazy not to. We've been debating a few things though. I want a house in the country, and she wants something closer to town. I'd like something on the low end of our price range that we can fix up to build equity and have lower tax payments, and she'd like something we can buy under fair market value and live in without any upgrades. Since we're first time home buyers, we're wondering if any of you have any suggestions as far as what to look for and what to avoid in regards to location, structural style, acreage, and other such things. I've done painting, carpeting, drywall, and plumbing as a vocation, so when it comes to fixing anything but electrical, I'm like a fish in water. Any thoughts?[/quote']

All I can say is that interest rates are at the lowest level in my lifetime, and a house has always been a good investment. Buy one that you both can live with, hold on to it and enjoy it.

I'm partial to country living and my wife did it with me in N.C. but country living can be harder on your wife if you have kids.

I lived in the country for 15 yrs and loved it, but there were a few downsides. 26k internet, constant gale force winds, a well (which went bad one Christmas Eve when it was 5 degrees outside), grocery stores aren't close, and no cable television.

on a separate note, why do people quote the entire post starter? We know what your referring to when you reply.

Yeah, my sister went through a rough spell when my nephew was born. It was summer, so she couldn't even take him outside too often, and he had pneumonia from a pollen allergy, so she was basically homebound for about 6 months. It was a hard transition for her, having a screaming kid and no entertainment but daytime television while her husband was at work. We're not planning on kids anytime soon - hopefully not until we have a house and have it paid off or nearly paid off. The place I have in mind is 1.25 acres surrounded by farms, and one side of the property is bordered by a walking / biking trail. There's something about the smell of cow **** that makes me feel more at home - the normal kind that they haul with trucks and tractors, not that evil liquified **** gravy that they spray on factory farms. I feel like I need trees and fields, instead of seeing what my neighbors are watching on tv in suburbia. That, and when we do have kids, I want them to be able to ride their bikes and build forts without worrying about pissing off a neighbor or getting hit by cars. Maybe that's just because it's what I had when I was a kid, and it's all I ever really needed. My wife always liked it better in town, though, for convenience's sake.

I lived in the country for 15 yrs and loved it' date=' but there were a few downsides. 26k internet, constant gale force winds, a well (which went bad one Christmas Eve when it was 5 degrees outside), grocery stores aren't close, and no cable television.

on a separate note, why do people quote the entire post starter? We know what your referring to when you reply.[/quote']

We are quotards...=D>

In response to you, Rocky, I like the internet and all, but most modern conveniences tend to make me lethargic. That's why I don't have cable or satellite, and I probably never will. I know country living is a good thing for me, and I think it would be good for my family to have a place to retreat to. I think towns start to close in on a person after a while.

That's gorgeous, man! I took a walk down the trail that goes past the house, and there are fields on every side. It was weird to think that I could go from my neighbor's screaming kids to the sound of frogs if we can talk them down on the price. We watched the sun go down over the farms and trees, and I think that ended the argument over city vs. country.

Archived