Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Firebird VII weird year

Hi there,

last year I bought an old Gibson Firebird which seems to be hard to date due to its possible refin. Even Gibson could not help me on this one. 
It has no serial number, could be repainted as the paint is in almost new condition. 
Those are the specs: Fret edge bindings, 
Golden parts, Maestro with Gibson logo, banjo tuners, ABR, Vibrola with walrus tooth handle on tubular arm. One of the pickups has a date: Jan 16 1980, one Nov 22 1977 and the third a stamped name William (can't read the rest of the text). Pots are dated 1981. 
The edges of the attached wings seem to be unusual curved at the upper ends of the body which doesn’t seem original. Wiring is LP and not Firebird style. It came with a 70s Case with the characteristic red interior. 

I can't find any info about a 1981 Firebird VII , what this looks like it is.
According to all info I have, there should not be a 1981 FB VII as Gibson told me as well. May this guitar be one of those made  from leftover material before they closed down the Kalamazoo plant? 

thanks a lotimg_8241-jpeg.1095108img_8245-png.1095110img_8247-png.1095113img_8246-png.1095112

I'm not a Firebird expert, but it seems very plausible that this one dates between 1972 and 1979 (the period in the 70's that they were re-introduced), and that your 70's pickup is original.  The guitar may have been modified in the early 80's with two new pickups and a refinish (and possibly new plating on the pickups).  Just a guess.  Great looking guitar.