Gibson Brands Forums

Historical overview of SG Standard colors

kruliosis

How many different colors and finishes did the SG Standard have in its entirety? Anyone know?

I've been on a mission for a while now, trying to seek out every year, and every limited run SG Standard that was ever produced. Something new seems to always come up. I'm all Googled out.

Okay...the standard color for the Standard was cherry red, but it varied a bit over the years--the earlier ones were a lighter shade, and starting in about '66 or '67 they went to more of a deep maroon color. About that same time walnut brown became available, and Pelham Blue was used on a very few in the mid-'60's. Some other Gibson models were available in Sparkling Burgundy or Pelham Blue, so it's possible that there are some Sparkling Burgundy SG's out there, but I've never seen or heard of one. Solid colors like black or white were available by special order, but they weren't listed in catalogs or price lists back then. In the '70's, with the trend toward natural finishes, natural mahogany was added. The current Naturalburst came in during the '90's, but I've heard of at least one sunburst Standard from the '60's, although I've never seen even a pic of it. That should about cover it--but, remember, Gibson would do almost anything by special order for anyone willing to pay for it and wait a couple of years. So as soon as I figure that "Gibson never did...", one will turn up!

Archived