Gibson Brands Forums

Stolen! Please Help?!?!?!

RnBMusicCrewe

We had an extremely rare all silver Les Paul Silverburst from the early 80's stolen form our shop in April 2007, it would be easily identifiable by us and apparently it's one of only 3.

I've often wondered where we would stand legally if we ever saw it again, but we'd consider buying it back.

Hello R&BMusicCrewe

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. People who steal guitars grovel beneath the lowest forms of life on earth.

I've had four great guitars stolen, a 1952 Les Paul (no serial number on that year), 1974 Martin D-35, 1971 Telecaster and a 1971 Gibson Les Paul '54 Re-issue sunburst. I got the '71 LP back because I had the serial number and gave it to the police after the theft. I didn't have the others.

First, if you haven't already, give the serial number and full description to the police. I'd also post the same on local and internet forums. There are actually people out there that will keep an ear and eye out for you. The thieves will probably try to dump the guitar locally unless you have a "theft ring" in your area. In my experience, it's usually punk-*** local kids.

Again, so sorry to hear about that. I'll keep a good thought for you.

Pete

• 1 year later...

I own an 83 all silver custom (in my pic), I bought mine 11 years ago & I have seen 2 others, a 78 here http://forum.gibson.com/index.php/topic/29876-78-solid-siver-les-paul/page__p__413964__fromsearch__1#entry413964 & the other I seen on ebay about 6 years ago that was either an 82 or 83, & I'm pretty sure Carlos Cavazo is playing one in an early Quiet Riot video (could be the one that was on ebay), the pic I found on the internet, it's about what mine looks like color wise due to the finish aging, I'm wondering where you got the one of only 3 from & also I hope you have gotten your guitar back

post-16981-061887100 1283399888_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We had an extremely rare all silver Les Paul Silverburst from the early 80's stolen form our shop in April 2007, it would be easily identifiable by us and apparently it's one of only 3.

I've often wondered where we would stand legally if we ever saw it again, but we'd consider buying it back.

where you stand legally: in the USA, a police report inmediately after discovery that the property has been stolen is required as Proof-of-Claim.

notifying pawn shops and music stores in your inmediate area is a good idea. You should have the instrument's serial number and a description, a picture is better.

Eventually it will surface and someone might remember it as stolen. You should not have to buy it back, stolen is stolen and if someone buys stolen property, they do so at their own risk.

when I buy used equipment, I always demand a Bill of Sale which identifies the seller, preferably with some type of photo I.D. like a Driver's License, and the Driver's License Number is stated on the Bill.

if a seller refuses to provide a photo I.D., that's usually plenty proof that the property being sold could be stolen. Walk away.

Hi Folks and Thank you all for your input. The guitar is still stolen and we are looking for it still at every opportunity. The serial number is/was 80243588 so if anybody comes across it, there is still a sizeable reward for it's safe return. We still have the 'Protector Case' lying here empty....

Once again

Many Thanks

R & B Music

Archived