Gibson Brands Forums

1943 LG-2 Banner Headstock

reedjasonj

I need some help and I am new to this forum. I am a Gibson player through and through and a friend of mine just passed along a 1943 Gibson Lg-2 Banner Headstock. It has a crack through the front under the saddle (looks like due to humidity) and there are two thinner cracks in the back. The guitar looks to be all original and I have no idea what the value of this would be. I dont plan on putting any money into it- I would like to sell it but I need to get an idea of its value. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Depends on the condition. There are many detailed questions forum members can start to answer with good photos. Post some quality pictures and you will get good feedback. If a banner lg-2 is in original condition with no cracks, good neck angle and frets, no other repair issues, dealers are asking $4,000 or more for these guitars. Not sure they are getting it, but they are asking. Private sales happen for less. But the devil is in the details. Is the top spruce or mahogany? Mahogany is worth less than spruce. If there is a non-original bridge, non-original tuners, and needing a neck reset and refret, with some cracks, closer to $2,000. A refinished guitar, even less. Post the photos and good luck.

Congratulations of the LG-2. Does the guitar have a factory order number stamped on the neck block? It would be great if you can post photos. I'd like to include your guitar on my Banner Gibson Registry. You can also consult the registry to determine the originality of the guitar.

Thanks for posting.

It looks like a mahogany top. Seems awfully small in that case. Could this be a 3/4 size guitar? Do you have the measurements, like width at lower bout and overall length of the body, as well as length from nut to 12th fret (double that is scale length)?

Archived