Gibson Brands Forums

Dylan/McCartney

EdgarHF

Sorry' date=' a bit vague. I was referring to airplay, magazine articles, forum threads, studio time, record company promotion, et. al.[/quote']

In that case I'd say it's a bogus argument. Practically speaking, especially with all the on-line possibilities, IMO there's no limit to the resources you're talking about.

I should add that personally I'm not all that interested in the project in question and would most likely not buy the music or even seek it out.

In that case I'd say it's a bogus argument. Practically speaking' date=' especially with all the on-line possibilities, IMO there's no limit to the resources you're talking about.

I should add that personally I'm not all that interested in the project in question and would most likely not buy the music or even seek it out.[/quote']

I agree that the internets has really helped under-appreciated artists. In fact, it is killing the whole Record Industry. But if Dylan/Macca put out an album, rest assured that the boomer-centric media will fall all over themselves trying to jump on the bandwagon. Time magazine stories, 60 Minutes, the New York Times and other media dinosaurs will have front page articles.

Just look at the top grossing musical acts of 2008:

1. Madonna: $242,176,466

2. Bon Jovi: $157,177,766

3. Bruce Springsteen: $156,327,964

4. The Police: $109,976,894

5. Celine Dion: $99,171,237

6. Kenny Chesney: $90,823,990

7. Neil Diamond: $82,174,000

8. Rascall Flatts: $63,522,160

9. Jonas Brothers: $62,638,814

10. Coldplay: $62,175,555

11. The Eagles: $61,132,213

12. Lil Wayne: $57,441,334

13. AC/DC: $56,505,296

14. Michael Buble: $50,257,364

15. Miley Cyrus: $48,920,806

16. Taylor Swift: $45,588,730

17. Journey: $44,787,328

18. Billy Joel: $44,581,010

19. Mary J. Blige: $43,472,850

20. Kanye West: $42,552,402

My god. Journey? The Eagles? Billy Joel?

The best records of 2008 are debatable, but I'll use Greg Kot's as a benchmark:

1. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, “Dig!!! Lazarus, Dig!!! (Anti): The poet laureate of post-punk raves on with black humor and sharper hooks than ever.

2. Torche, “Meanderthal” (Hydra Head): All the power of metal without the excess, and brimming with monster hooks.

3. Vivian Girls, “Vivian Girls” (In the Red): Homespun girl-group harmonies and plaintively sweet melodies lurk within the cathartic din.

4. TV on the Radio, “Dear Science” (DGC/Interscope): Inventively dense production lightens just enough to let the melodies breathe and the rhythms bounce.

5. Q-Tip, “The Renaissance” (Universal Motown): After nearly a decade away, his smoky tone and agile flow remain as remarkable as ever.

6. Parts & Labor, “Receivers” (Jagjaguwar): Towering anthems from one of America’s best and most underrated rock bands.

7. Portishead, “Third” (Mercury): The U.K. trip-hop pioneers return after a decade, this time surrounding the sweet despair of Beth Gibbons’ vocals with more turbulent music than ever.

8. Rhymefest, “Mark Ronson Presents Rhymefest: Man in the Mirror, The Michael Jackson Dedication Album” (rhymefest.com): Blatantly unauthorized samples make for the best album Michael Jackson never made, with lots of help from one of his biggest --- and most talented --- fans.

9. Fleet Foxes, “Fleet Foxes” (Sub Pop): You could build a cathedral inside the Seattle quintet’s lustrous harmonies.

10. David Byrne and Brian Eno, “Everything That Happens Will Happen Today” (Todomundo): A pair of old friends make a melodically rich gospel album, with disturbing undertones.

11. No Age, “Nouns” (Sub Pop)

12. Kanye West, “808s and Heartbreak” (Roc-A-Fella)

13. The Knux, “Remind Me in 3 Days” (Interscope)

14. Frightened Rabbit, “The Midnight Organ Fight” (Fatcat)

15. Toumani Diabate, “The Mande Variations” (World Circuit/Nonesuch)

16. Love is All, “A Hundred Things Keep Me Up at Night” (What’s Your Rupture?)

17. Alejandro Escovedo, “Real Animal” (Back Porch/Manhattan)

18. Santogold, “Santogold” (Downtown)

19. Randy Newman, “Harps and Angels” (Nonesuch)

20. Jenny Lewis, “Acid Tongue” (Warner Brothers)

Only one made both lists. My argument may be bogus, but I think you see where I am going.

So Q-Tip is more relevant than Bob Dylan?

I understand your point about The Eagles, Journey, and Billy Joel, but Dylan is clearly not in that league. The dude has won like 4 Grammys in the last 8 years, and there is no "dwelling on old ghosts" in Dylan's work. You bring up the boomer-centric media, but that is clearly a double edged sword. That is the same boomer media that freaks out every time a Dylan album doesn't sound like "Bringin' It All Back Home" or when a Neil Young album doesn't sound like "Harvest." How many of Dylan's past albums have featured the accordion? None, and whether it sounds good on the new one or not, he is still innovating and making diverse music. I would say more people write off his new music because of his age than choose to listen because of it.

I normally don't engage in stuff like this, but I'm 23 years old and Dylan and Neil are my favorite artists. I think their new stuff is just as good as their old stuff! Frankly, I'm sick of hearing my peers write off their music because they are "old dudes" and then proceed to listen to "hipper" music that, in my opinion, pales in comparison.

I realize this is all subjective, but there is a reason that media outlets, "dinosaurs" or not, fall all over themselves every time a new Dylan album comes out. My guess is that it has more to do with the fact that 3 of his last 4 albums have been kick ***, and less to do with the fact that he made some great albums 40 years ago.

"I should add that personally I'm not all that interested in the project in question and would most likely not buy the music or even seek it out."

Though I like both, I would have to agree!!

Haven't really liked anything McCartney's done since the Beatles. (Pop music)

Dylan has done "some" good stuff. I have only played his newest, 1 time, & that's plenty for me.

I think McCartney peaked while in the Beatles (All My Lovin, Hold Your Hand, etc.) I don't like a lot of what he's written since, but will always place him on a pedestal for being a driving force in the Beatles. I always thought of him & Lennon to be like Beethoven and Mozart as far as having a place in history. Dylan is another I liken to a "Babe Ruth" of the music world.

I've liked a couple of McCartney's post-Beatles offerings (Maybe I'm Amazed, Blue Bird, Hi Hi Hi, and maybe one or two others), but that's about it.

My favorite post-fab LPs are (and probably in this order):

-- Plastic Ono Band

-- All Things Must Pass

-- Imagine

I think some of the best post-fab stuff is contained therein. After that, I pretty much lost interest.

Archived