Gibson Brands Forums

1985 XPL Explorer

bigmoline321

I have a 1985 XPL Explorer in a lime green like color with a Spider web design imbosed in the laquer.

Does anyone no any thing about theese guitars? Info on these guitars is very limited. It does have the Custom shop logo on the head stock. And a Kahler Tremolo.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

*NOT MY PICS*

Gibson Explorer XPL

xpl.jpg

Headstock

xpl2.jpg

The ones I have seen didn't have covers on the pick ups and I have seen them with factory Dirty Fingers.

The XPL models were a bit different. They were basically an Explorer that that had some radical angles and were made to a more appealing "80's hair band" look of the day. If I am not mistaken they were only made in 1985(maybe some in 86?). They are pretty rare as they were not very many made if I remember correct. They do have the "custom shop" logo but were marked as such because they were not standard production pieces. I don't think they were actually made in the custom shop. There really has not been a huge collector market for the XPL's but don't let that frustrate you. They are very awesome guitars IMO and since they were only made in very small numbers then I would hold on to it. On the market I have seen them sell for as little as $450.00 and as high as $2,000.00. I kind of liked the look of them myself. The ones I have seen all had fixed bridges. If you have one with a factory mounted Kahler then I think that is more appealing, IMO. One because I love Kahlers and two because I think it kind of adds to the flavor of the concept with the XPL Explorer, 80's hair band theme.

hope that helps

hotrod

Yes, that one looks like mine, but mine is black.

Anyone knows why the shape is the way it is?

Mine has the kahler tremo on it as well. Will post pics as soon as i'm able to.

The shape was done like that to appeal more to the "hair metal" scene that was the biggest thing of the time. They made the shape radical looking with harder angles. Some say that the rounded "half moon" cut out on the bottom is for setting on your inner right leg while playing those ripping solos on stage. You have to remember, at the time all the rage of the era were guitars like super strats(Charvels, Kramers, etc.), Carvin V220 and Ultra V's, the Jackson Concorde( V shape made famous by Randy Rhoads), and BC Rich's. These were all a lot more "radical" looking than what was the standard before it.

hope this helps to understand the shape of the XPL Explorer

hotrod

• 5 months later...

I have one in green that came with a kahler. The black one in the pictures that Uffe posted have an extra knob almost between the pickups. Does anyone know what that knob is for?

There is only one way to descibe the color green that these guitars were painted and that's why mine was dubbed "Booger".

• 9 months later...

I have a xpl in green with a sort of ghost stripe spider web effect on the finish. Mine has a fixed bridge and havent really seen many about. I would love to get another one someday because they are awsome guitars.

• 3 weeks later...

My xpl is also from '85. Just bought it today and stumbled onto this forum. It think it might have been repainted. It needs a lot of work (kahler flyer bridge is a bit worn) but it sounds and plays super! It has the custom edition shop logo.

post-40807-040740700 1329516989_thumb.jpg

Archived