Gibson Brands Forums

Scale lengths and nut widths

RickLafayette

I don't know anywhere, but, if you have a specific question, people here can probably help. The story is often kind of complicated, tho', due to Gibson's legendary flexibility. For example, most AJs are long scale with 1-23/32" wide necks. Except for the ones from the "Custom Shop", which are usually 1-3/4" But one CS batch was 1-9/16". Oh, and one dealer ordered a big batch of short scale AJs in a variety of tonewoods (several people here own one). The tops are Sitka, except for the ones that are Adirondack. Backs are most often Indian rosewood. But some are Madigascar rosewood, some (prior to mid-2003) were Brazilian rosewood, a few are Amazon rosewood, some are birdseye maple, some are flamed maple, some are koa, some are mahogany (but only short scale ones, AFAIK). I'm sure I've left some combos out. So, you tell me, what are the specs for an AJ?

Basically, dealers can order guitars built to any spec they want -- Gibsons are only built in response to orders -- and many take advantage of the fact. There are only defaults, not inflexible specifications, when it comes to Gibsons.

-- Bob R

Rick,

I do the same with info I'm looking for. Figure it carries a bit more weight if multiple sites list the same thing. Course there wouldn't by any question at all if Gibson provided complete, accurate specs on their website, but alas they don't.

Archived