Gibson Brands Forums

Too much GAS to handle

ledzep59

So I decided to trade a Fender tele for this PRS which I have decided to sell:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300358132351&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

Bid on it if you like it! Here is a list of things I would like to do with the money (and some other funds saved), how would y'all rate these?

1. add brazilian fretboard, bone nut, refret, inlays, etc. on my R9 and spend ~2k on an amp (I have marshall MG100hdfx, and would like to upgrade)

2. spend it all on R7, R9, or R0

3. spend it all on amp

4. none of the above

How much are you expecting for that PRS? It's at $450 now.

1. Why do you want Brazilian? If you want your guitar to be as close to a burst as possible, send it to a place like Historic Makeovers for a complete makeover. Note I said "like" Historic Makeovers because I've read that they're up to their wahzoo in guitars and aren't accepting anymore work for a while.

2. You have an R9, unless you just want more than one historic (like me). What about upgrading your R9's electronics? It can do wonders.

3. Sounds like a good idea.

4. Also, sounds like a good idea.

It's impossible for a stranger like me to tell you what to do with your money but I do know where you're coming from. G.A.S has also consumed me. You should see what's coming into my house within the next week - two guitars and an amplifier - it's nuts!!

The people who have given their R9s a makeover swear that they're the absolute best but it seems like wasted money to me. Until people can scientifically prove that Brazilian rosewood is better than other rosewoods 100% of the time, I'll never be convinced. You do also get a reshaped neck that's like a burst's but I love the necks my guitars have now and wouldn't dream of changing them. They also remove the truss rod condom...whoop-di-doo! Like I said, wasted money to me. Buying a second reissue is also a waste of money but at least you'll have two of them...and eventually five! Amps - well, what amps do you have now?

How about a 5th choice - buy your wife/girlfriend something nice. Then, when you know what you really want, she's less likely to object!

I figure the PRS will go for around 1200. Well I already had some push/pull pots put in my R9 along with duncan '59s which gives me a bunch of options. My Florida guy upgraded the caps but I'm not sure what they are- he just said he was upgrading them. I do eventually want more than one historic for sure, but I'm not certain if now is the time. I just wanted brazilian board because of the legend that precedes it, especially the tone. You are right, though, there is no real way of telling if the brazilian is always better. Every time I think about the brazilian I change my mind, so if I go through with it, at least I will get the definite answer.

The only amps I have now are the Marshall half-stack mg100 with some lower-tier marshall cab, and a 15 year-old Fender stage 112 combo that has a descent clean sound. I think it maybe time to get a serious head.

I am single now so I don't have to spend money on any women

Archived