Gibson Brands Forums

Reducing roller/tension bar diameter on bigsby b70

muchachotron

hello, i'm continuing my research into setting up my new LP studio which has a bigsby b70 installed.

the angle of the strings after they pass over the stock tune-o-matic bridge, strung underneath the front tension roller on the bigsby, is quite steep. so steep, in fact, that the strings are pressing against the tail side of the bridge, which is not good at all. some people suggest having the strings go over the bigsby tension bar instead of under, which i will a/b test with at some point, but i'm thinking i'd like to try and keep the downward pressure, just reduce it from its current extremity.

what i'd like to try is make the roller bar narrower, by perhaps half -- i think this would help quite a bit. the hardware is gold, which makes it tricker as i can't grab an aluminum tube.

anyone have thoughts about how this could be accompished, or have done it? i'm thinking i'd do this along w/ installing a roller bridge or perhaps a graphtech bridge/saddle system, and also a graphtech tusq nut. i'll probably end up taking this to a tech to install the hardware, as i am not experienced at mod work and i don't want to trash my new instrument, should i expect they'll know how to handle the roller bar reduction?

i'd also consider shimming/raising the bigsby up a bit, in addition to the above or instead of that procedure, but it being an installed b70, it's difficult because of the tail piece wrap around. i'd need to change all of the screw locations to keep the screws nice and well secured on the front face -- if the front plate was at an angle, the screw heads would stick out awkwardly.

Archived