Gibson Brands Forums

PAF Style boutique pickups for my Gibson ES-335

Georgie_39

Hi!:

What Is the best PAF replica boutique Pickups?.

I need this for my Gibson Custom ES-335 Dot.

I like low output. I play blues and use a Fulltone Fulldrive 10th Anniversary Mosfet Edition and Retrosonic analog delay boutique pedal. I use a 1990 Brownface '63 Fender Vibroverb Reissue.

Seymour Duncan Seth Lover, Seymour Duncan Antiquity?

Lollar? … What Model? … Imperial?

Wolftone “The Dr. Vintage”?

Bareknuckle Mules?

Peter Florance Voodoo Pickups?

Tom Holmes Pickups?.

Anny other Suggestion?.

Many Thanks!.

Greetings [-( .

Looks like you've already done your research!

I'm currently running Sheptone Tributes in my SG, Lindy Fralin alnico II's in my ES-175. This after "auditioning" Wolfetone Dr. V's, WCR Goodwoods, Godwoods, & Darkbursts, Seth Lovers, & Pearly Gates in various guitars.

The best thing you can do is start with what you think is best for the tone you seek.

Seems the character of the wood and the guitars design affects how the pup will sound. For example: My ES-175 has been thru 4 pickup changes - it came with T-tops which I didn't like, but sounded great in my SG. I bought a set of Lovers after much research to replace in the 175... didn't like 'em - too dark. Then I bought an R8, but didn't like the Burstbuckers, so I got some Sheptones which kicked butt. Sold the R8, but replaced the pups with another set of BB's I had, and moved the Sheps to my SG, sold the T-tops. Then I moved the Burstbuckers to my ES-175 - sounded way, way better than they did in the R8. But, I found a set of Fralins for a too good price, and installed those in the ES-175... perfect for that platform.

A lot of work to find exactly what I want. Point is, I started my journey by asking the same question you did. Hopefully, you'll find exactly what you want the first go 'round!

Thanks!.

En cuanto a sonido no se como explicarlo en vuestro idioma, el inglés. Si alguien pudiese amablemente traducir esto seria genial.

Toco blues y mi sonido básicamente es sin pedales de efectos. Trabajo con amplificadores Fender de poca potencia monocanal, con los cuales logro una saturación natural a tubos usándolos a buen volumen. Hablo de un Tweed Deluxe y otro Tweed Champ TAD de Boutique que arme, mas el ’63 Vibroverb.

Mis amplificadores los configuro con tubos de menos ganancia, por ejemplo en vez de utilizar el conocido 12AX7 hago uso de 12AY7 o 5751, siempre NOS ya sean GE, Sylvania o Phillips. Así mantengo en amplificadores de poca potencia un techo limpio más alto y saturo mas tarde.

Creo escuchando guitarras Gibson de época de algunos colegas que las pickups que traen hoy en día las ES-335’s y similares tienen mas salida que las originales de época. El sonido de las 57 Classic que trae mi Dot esta bien, pero me gustaría que saturasen mas tarde, algo con menos salida, que me permitan mantener un limpio a un mayor volumen y solo hacer uso de algún pedal como seria un Booster en caso de querer saturar un poquito.

Esperaría unas pickups que tuviese una buena respuesta a la dinámica de mi mano sin usar pedales de efectos. Un sonido gordo pero definido, con una buena proyección de armónicos, con agudos dulces y cremosos.

Eso es lo que busco. Si me pediesen dar orientación al respecto estaría muy agradecido.

Saludos

Thanks!.

En cuanto a sonido no se como explicarlo en vuestro idioma' date=' el inglés. Si alguien pudiese amablemente traducir esto seria genial.

Saludos

[/quote']

Try this link amigo: http://translation2.paralink.com/

¡Parece usted ha hecho ya su investigación!

Dirijo actualmente Tributos Sheptone en mi SG, Lindy Fralin alnico el II'S en mi ES-175. Este después "auditioning" Wolfetone doctor V, WCR Goodwoods, Godwoods, y Darkbursts, Seth Lovers, y Puertas Nacaradas en varias guitarras.

La mejor cosa que usted puede hacer es el principio con lo que usted piensa es lo mejor para el tono que usted busca.

Parece el carácter de la madera y el diseño de guitarras afecta como el perrito sonará. Por ejemplo: Mi ES-175 ha sido a través de 4 cambios de recogida - esto vino con T-cumbres que no me gustaron, pero parecí grande en mi SG. Compré un juego de Amantes después de que a mucha investigación para sustituir en 175 ... no le gustaron les - demasiado oscuro. Entonces compré un R8, pero no me gustó el Burstbuckers, entonces conseguí algún Sheptones que dio una patada al extremo. Vendido el R8, pero sustituido los perritos por otro juego del BB'S yo, y movido el Sheps a mi SG, había vendido las T-cumbres. Entonces moví el Burstbuckers a mi ES-175 - camino parecido, camino mejor que ellos hicieron en el R8. Pero, encontré un juego de Fralins para un precio demasiado bueno, e instalé aquellos en el ES-175 ... perfecto para aquella plataforma.

Mucho trabajo para encontrar exactamente lo que quiero. El punto es, comencé mi viaje preguntando a la misma pregunta que usted hizo. ¡Esperamos que usted encontrará exactamente lo que usted quiere que los primeros vayan 'por ahí!

Thank you very much for your help.

I play blues and my sound basically is without pedals of effects. I work with Fender amps of little potency monochannel, with which I achieve a natural saturation to the tubes using them to good volume.

I setup my amplifiers with tubes of low gain, for example instead of using the acquaintance 12AX7 make use of 12AY7 or 5751, US be always already GE, Sylvania or Phillips. This way I support in amplifiers of little potency a higher clean roof and saturate later.

The sound of 57 Classic that my this Dot brings well, but I would like that they were saturating later, a little with less bulging, that they allow me to support the clean one to a major volume and only to make use of some pedal like it would be a Booster in case of wanting to saturate.

He would wait for a few pickups that a good response should have to the dynamics of my hand without using pedals of effects, less bulging than the current ones. A fat but definite sound, with a good projection of harmonic, with sharp sweet and creamy.

This is for what I look. I need orientation on this matter would be very grateful.

Greetings

When I had to replace the pick ups in my '68 335, I chose the Seymor Duncan Seth Lovers and they sound fantastic. I play both blues and jazz and they are perfect for both. I play my guitar through vintage Fender tube amps with JBLs, (mostly 15" D130s).

68GES335.jpg

Archived