Gibson Brands Forums

Should I trade For Gibson BR6F?

almcg2

Hi folks, I'm new to this forum but I have a question I'm sure more than a few of you will have a strong opinion about. I own a few amps, 1986 Marshall JCM 800 100 watt head, original Fender Blues Deluxe, 1985 Mesa Boogie Mark III 100/50 watt head, 1966 Fender Vibro Champ, etc. All are great amps. Recently I've been looking for lower watt amps that I can use in the house with out being tempted to shake the roof and walls. I love the sound of the Vibro Champ and wanted another vintage sounding amp that would have the right voicing for Blues and Jazz. Now, I also own a mid 70's Fender Silverface Bassman 70 in near perfect condition. It had the blackface mod, so it sounds waaaaayyy better than a typical Bassman, which is almost too clean to the point of having no character at all (for guitar). I have the chance to trade it for a 1950 Gibson BR6F that looks to be in very fine shape and according to the owner sounds just right for my kind of playing, though they did say it should probably get a cap job. My Bassman has already been brought up[ to snuff and needs no work of any kind.

Since some of you folks probably know this amp, would you see this is a good trade or am I better off holding out for some other amp. I get different offers all the time, but this is the first one that struck a chord. I love old vintage sound for the bluesy/jazzy licks and the old 50's seems just right.

Help me out PLEASE... what are your feelings?

• 1 month later...

Ok... update time. I LOVE THE GIBSON BR6F!!!!

What beautiful sounding vintage amp. With my 1980's Tokai Strat (which has amazing pups), the sound is magic. Creamy, warm, a rich, rich vintage tone. So... yes I traded, and am extremely glad I did. Now it's one of my favorite and most played amps.

Al

Archived