Gibson Brands Forums

How can I fix the intonation on my 335?

wheelgunner

It's on a Gibson ES 335 that I bought new a couple years ago. The nut slots were too high so I took it to the luthier/tech recommended by the music store that sold it too me.

That tech cut the 6th and 4th slots too low.

I took it to another tech who installed a vintage nut.

Now I'm just getting around to learning how to adjust the intonation. All the strings are ok except the 'g' string. It's sharp and I've adjusted the saddle/groove as far as I can. It's still sharp (at the 12th fret).

Somebody suggested I flip the saddle, but w/the 335 that's impossible cause the screws stick out way too far.

Suggestions?

Flipping the saddle is one potential fix, but before you do that look at the bridge and check to see if it's tipping slightly towards the bridge pickup. This is a common problem on ABR-1 tune-o-matics (and has been since around 1955). If it is tipping over the bridge will be too far forward and will keep you from adjusting the "G" back far enough, even with the saddle reversed. This is usually caused either by the studs bending slightly under string pressure, ovalling the holes in the top, or both. In a lot of tech's opinions, Gibson's bridge studs are too short and too soft. An easy and very robust fix is to replace them with 1 1/2" long 6/32" stainless steel screws. These are much stronger and will thread deeper into the stud hole, preventing the bridge from tipping over. Naturally, you have to cut the heads off the screws and clean up the ends with a file. Then double-nut them with the thumbwheels and carefully run the screws down until they bottom out. Tighten until they're just snug. Put the bridge & strings back on, adjust your string height as you like it, then mark any excess screw sticking above the bridge. Remove the strings & bridge again and cut the excess off. File & polish to a finished look. Put the bridge back on & tune to pitch. The bridge will stand up straight, you should have plenty of adjustment range for all the strings. You'll notice an improvement in tone & sustain, too.

For a little extra bridge support an easy old trick on TOMs is to add a second set of thumbwheels and run them all the way down to the top. Thism prevents them from tipping as much. Some folks don't like the way this looks, but it's worth a try if you have a spare set.

I've had to do the stud fix on my '59 RI 335, plus I had to do the "G" string saddle flip. As a bonus I did the extra thumbwheels, too. Perfect intonation and better tone to boot!

Archived