Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L5-S Anyone?

Mark Lee

Any owners of the original L5-S solid body guitars out there? I've been GAS-ing for one for a while now. I have a few questions about them: What is the average weight? Are they chambered or solid? And what is the scale length, 25 or 24 3/4? Also, if anyone has one and wants a trade, I have a 1975 Fender Telecaster with an original chrome mid 60's Gibson PAF in the neck which I might be willing to trade off for one.

• 1 year later...

Any owners of the original L5-S solid body guitars out there? I've been GAS-ing for one for a while now. I have a few questions about them: What is the average weight? Are they chambered or solid? And what is the scale length, 25 or 24 3/4? Also, if anyone has one and wants a trade, I have a 1975 Fender Telecaster with an original chrome mid 60's Gibson PAF in the neck which I might be willing to trade off for one.

I've got an L5S. I have no idea of the average weight, but I think mine's getting close to 9 pounds. It's solid body (this was the '70's, remember?) and it's solid maple, body and neck. Scale length is 24.75". There are several renditions of the L5S; some came with the oval low-impedance pickups, some have a trapeze tailpiece (a version of the one on the L5 archtops). Later models came with standard humbuckers and a TP-6 tailpiece.

Trades might be difficult. I'm not sure what your Telecaster would be worth, but a good L5-S may be in the $4500 arena, with the rattier ones down in the $2-3K range. Be sure to get one with an original case; these can be difficult and a bit expensive to source

Archived