Gibson Brands Forums

GIBSON CS-356 help needed desperately!! Please help!

Trevorroberts

Hi all,

Back in June, I finally purchased my DREAM guitar - A BEAUTIFUL Gibson CS-356 with a Bigsby.

Now here's my question, and I'm really hoping for an answer.

I've seen on the Gibson site/various photos on google that this guitar is available in red, natural, flame/antique burst finishes though I have NOT been able to find a mention/photo/anything of it in an Ebony (black) finish, which what my guitar is.

- DOES ANYBODY OWN OR KNOW OF ANYBODY THAT OWNS THIS GUITAR IN EBONY????

I know for certain that this guitar is a genuine Gibson and not a knock off (I checked with Gibson) but they were unable to tell me exactly how many of these were made.

If anybody has any answers or ideas on whom I could contact specifically to get my answer, It'd mean the world to me.

Cheers,

- Trevor Roberts

I've followed this model pretty closely online since I got mine in the summer of '03. To my knowledge there have been several short runs for a few of the larger independent US dealers (Wildwood, Centre City, Music Machine, perhaps Dave's) in custom colors/woods: some quilted maple tops, some koa, some korina backs, some gold, various versions of sunburst, even green and blue quilt, a CS 10th anniversary white one and a few others. There's even been one tangerine 12-string. But there sure haven't been many in ebony that I've seen. For a while, there was a Leroy Parnell model of the 336 in ebony, and I've seen pics of an ES-359 in ebony... but my hunch is that a CS-356 in ebony, with a bigsby, is a pretty rare bird -- perhaps even a customer-ordered one-off. But you might check with Wildwood: I think they've done the most of them in non-standard configurations.

• 6 months later...

I have seen the Black ones a couple of times. Once at an online music site and once on eBay.

I own the AAAA heavily quilted green "Emerald Tiger" 2006 - no Bigsby. I was too afraid of tuning problems onstage, as I tend to beat hard upon it.

The straplok failed once, and I dropped it from waist height onto a cement basement floor. It landed directly on the side and put a small hairline crack about 1/2" jetting out from the input jack. The back, block and sides are all carved from one piece of wood and it causes no problems.

<----- I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

Archived