Gibson Brands Forums

Bound neck question

Blackie

The used SG Standard I have has a slight difference in height going from the frets to the nibs on the high

E side of the neck. This is not a major problem as the only contact is accidental but the E string will mute out if it hits this area.

Seems to me the last new Standard I had there was no difference and the E string would slide off the neck

without any noticeable chink. So can this be fixed by filing the fret edges or something ?

The used SG Standard I have has a slight difference in height going from the frets to the nibs on the high

E side of the neck. This is not a major problem as the only contact is accidental but the E string will mute out if it hits this area.

Seems to me the last new Standard I had there was no difference and the E string would slide off the neck

without any noticeable chink. So can this be fixed by filing the fret edges or something ?

Not exactly sure what you're getting at(sorry-as always pics would be a great help)but do you mean the fret edges are raised?

If so' date='this may be corrected by filing,or maybe the frets themselves haven't been properly installed or are lifting?. Have the frets been replaced? I know you know how to tell,but like I said...I'm not exactly sure on what you mean.[thumbup

OK ......if you were to bend the high E string toward the edge of the neck.....as it reaches the fret end and the nib begins the fret is higher

so instead of the string sliding off the neck smoothly ( not that that is desired ) the string will hang up at the joint...no gap just a stair step like thing.

I have read of similar problems with binding............it is just kind of irritating to have to loose the 3/32 or so of neck edge. So if I am playing some chords and go to put my pinky on the E I have to be careful not to get near the edge because the string will fret out. This is on the entire high E side of the neck. I have read people say that a complete refret would obviously solve the problem by getting rid of the nibs.....but I an not big on going that route. ............This won't show up in a picture.

Mmm.

Bummer. So it sounds like it's getting caught up on the binding,no?

Wow,that must've been a work experience QA day at the plant by the sounds of things.[lol]

The binding should taper off the rounded end of the fret not before,which is what it sounds like for you...is that what is happening with your SG?

I dunno man,entirely up to you but if you really want to travel down this road-you can try sanding with some fine grade wet & dry...tape everything up for protection and baby steps...without seeing it,it's hard to make a call.

Too late I grabbed some sand paper and did a little on a fret.......then a little harder......it seemed ok.....went to a little finer grit

and a little steel wool cause the frets on the edge seemed a little scratchy .....and now it is much better......not perfect

but the string does'nt hang up like it did.....I can slide it back with my pinky without the pinging or as noticable problem while playing if

I bend it over onto the nibs.

Archived