Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop ES-335 Fat Neck

scoid

A few questions before I invest.

1) Does it really have a 24" (not 24 3/4") scale? Did the run of 521 in '59 have 24" scales? Or was this just a typo?

From the ES-335 Fat Neck description;

"True to the original ES-335s, the neck has the rounded 1959 profile and a 24-inch scale length with an 1 11/16th-inch width at the nut."

2) My friend has a very early '60 with a fat neck and a thinner body. Could this be one of the guitars which the ES-335 Fat Neck is modled after? Do you have any more information about these 521 "different" ES-335s that shipped in '59? My friend's has a 2-ply top which is typical of very early '58s.

From the ES-335 Fat Neck description;

"The Fat Neck is patterned on the run of 521 ES-335s produced by Gibson’s original Kalamazoo factory in 1959. This distinctive six-string still has all the same winning tonal qualities as the Custom Shop 335s modeled in 1958: warm, darker, mellow rounded tones perfect for jazz or blues, supercharged with the edge, sustain, and plain authority that comes with semi-hollowbody design.

In keeping with the vintage ’59s, the ES-335 Fat Neck not only boasts the correct rounded ’59 one-piece mahogany neck profile, but the slightly smaller body of the originals and vintage lightweight maple centerblock construction. The Fat Neck’s body measures 16 inches wide, 19 inches long, and 1.7-inches deep."

3) Can the ES-335 Fat Neck be ordered with a gloss finish?

4) I heard at the NAMM show that Gibson is going out of business. Is this true?

Might I suggest that your best approach would be either to phone or fire an e-mail off to Gibson Customer Support, as they will have the answers that you are looking for.

...Gibson Customer Support Details...

As for them going out of business.....well it's always a possibility, but I doubt it very much...

Now if you were talking Rickenbacker, well, that's a different matter..........:-$

... And that's how rumours start... [biggrin]

T21

Archived