Gibson Brands Forums

Bartolini PBF 55, 57 Replaces Gibson '57 Classic, Plus PU's

JazzGtr

As much as I like all thing Gibson, I'm thinking about replacing my Gibson CS 346-PJR pickups (Gibson '57 Classic, Plus) with Bartolini PBF 55 and 57. The main problem I'm having is that the Gibson '57 Classic and Plus output is too high for this semi-hollow guitar. When I turn the guitar volume up pass 5 (like 7) it overdrives my clean amp channel which requires me to turn down the amp. I love the neck pickup. But I noticed that the guitar and pickup combination isn't working for me.

Has anybody else tried Bartolini pickups in their semi / hollow bodies?

Thanks,

Jazz

[biggrin]

I know it's not exactly the same thing... but, I had the lower output Benedetto B-6

http://www.benedettopickups.com/products.htm

on a Guild X-150 Savoy (one pickup). And it was too damn quiet for the big band I play in....

I am no expert, but I am thinking the overdrive is more the amplifier than the pickup/guitar... What amp are you using ? I could be wrong about your amp however...

I know it's not exactly the same thing... but' date=' I had the lower output Benedetto B-6

http://www.benedettopickups.com/products.htm

on a Guild X-150 Savoy (one pickup). And it was too damn quiet for the big band I play in....

I am no expert, but I am thinking the overdrive is more the amplifier than the pickup/guitar... What amp are you using ? I could be wrong about your amp however...[/quote']

I tried the guitar with all of my amps: Fuchs TDS 100, Fender Blues Jr. Marshall JCM 900. The Fuchs amp has the most clean headroom out of all of my amps. It's the only guitar that has this issue. I read Paul Jackson Jr. (American Idol) did the same thing. But I also noticed that he doesn't play his signature guitar much.

Jazz

:-({|=

Jazz... I also have a Blues Junior.. It doesn't have much headroom for a clean jazz sound... But it's not a gigging amp...

My Fender Blues Deluxe has a ton of headroom and when I play all three guitars:

1) 335 elitist - 57 classics

2) ES137 - 57 classics

3) LP Custom - 490R/498T.

I have no issues with headroom when playing with the full big band...

I guess I don't know if the Bartolini would remedy your issue... But, I know you would have to likely dial up more to get the same volume...

Archived