Gibson Brands Forums

New Studio Set up???

Jeremy

Whats up people? I have recently started playing guitar and I am hooked. I was given a fender accoustic dg21s and decided to learn. It is like new condition. This is a great guitar, however I wanted an electric as well.My wife and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary and the traditional gift to give is wood, so what better gift to get than a new guitar . After researching all the possibilities i decided on the quality and sound of a gibson.I got a new les paul studio{wine red chrome hardware}.None of the local shops had any in stock so i ordered it from guitar center online.It arrived very fast only took 3 days. It is a very beautiful guitar. I tuned it and the strings were binding in the nut so I put a little graphite in the nut . the low E string was buzzing a bit so I raised the bridge a tad.I also adjusted the pickups a little. I decided to take it to a local shop to look it over since I am a little bit new at this. The shop does setups and seems pretty knowlegable although they are not a gison dealer they looked it over and everything was in order except there was a tad bit more relief on the low e string than the high e string side of the neck they said they had seen this before and it was not too big of a deal. My guitar plays fine but should i be concerned about this. I love this guitar but want it to be perfect. I have read on some internet sites advising set up ,that it is prefered to have alittle more relief on the low e sting side of the neck.the guy at the shop said if i adjusted the neck both sides would adjust evenly leaving the neck in the same condition .Thoghts and opinions greatly appreciated.

Congrats on the new gibson. It sounds like your doing good so far but you should not have messed around with the bridge height. I feel with shipping from state to state and the recent temp changes you should of waited for the neck to relax. Now that you changed you bridge height your Intonation will be off. Take it to a good authorized gibson dealer and pay them 50.00 to re-set it up with the strings/string gauge and type you plan on always using on that guitar, then don't mess with that again. If you have any concerns of the neck having a possible problem, because of the other guy, gibson recomemends an authorized dealer only for an complete evaluation,(My bets on there is no problem) but for you and for peace of mind on your new purchace have it done, then leave all the pro adjustment alone. YOU WILL ENJOY IT MUCH MORE. If you want to mess with that kind-of stuff and are just starting-out, get another guitar to play around with, until you get good at it.

I went to a gibson dealer today and they said it was definately a twisted neck. I took it back to Guitar Center and got a refund. I am now trying to figure out where I want to get another one from. I don't know why but none of these shops seem to have many choices in stock at least in the studio. the dealer said he could order one that would come straight from gibson,but it would take one or two months to arrive. I may go that route.I hear good things about sweetwater.com anyone done buisness with them?I hear they set up your guitar and do a 55 point inspection before it leaves there warehouse. I am still a little scared of the internet though. But if I order one from gibson and wait for a month or two It may not be perfect either. Maybe i need to go to nashville....hmmmmm

I've heard a lot of good things about sweetwater, check out this thread: http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=2968

It's up to you, do you want your LP soon with the possibility of flaws or do you want to wait and be pretty sure there's no problems? I would personally go ahead and order from sweetwater because they are pretty realiable, from what i hear the customer service is great and they give a free set-up.

Archived