Gibson Brands Forums

Tuner button help!?!

RASHARU

Greetings all. I've recently picked up a sweet Custom J45 Vine with the engraved gold Grover tuners. I want to change the buttons to more of a vintage "Kluson Keystone" look without changing the whole tuner set. Does anyone make a tuner button that resembles the ivory plastic vintage, besides Sperzel (which I've been told won't fit Grover posts)?

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions. I'm really hoping to find a set that's shaped more like the vintage Kluson type. I didn't really want to drill new holes in the back of my headstock (my current Grovers only need one small screw hole) but I may swap out to the actual Kluson/Gibson brand later. I never cared for that look in the past, but now that I've got this Vine I think I may appreciate the "Vintage" look a little more.

I know.. why dump the gold engraved buttons, right? I'm just funny like that. I always have to have something different ;-)

What is the actual difference with the Sperzel brand? They should have an internal D-flat just like any other tuner post.

Ah, looked again, saw the "Keystone". I'm not sure you're going to find just the knobs.

If you want to stick with Grovers, you could get the Deluxe Keystones:

Grover Deluxe Keystones

Or, Gotoh makes Kluson-style tuners which are pretty good stuff:

Gotoh Vintage Keystones

Or else WD Products now owns the Kluson name if you want the Kluson name:

Kluson Branded Tuners

Then there's Schallers:

Schaller Tuners

Or locking Sperzel "Sorta Keystones":

Sorta Keystones

The Sperzels lock to prevent string slippage, and are probably overkill on an acoustic unless you're that Monty kid who beats on that Takamine or whatever it is like Yngwe shredding his Strat. But if you play an acoustic like most people, just string it right and you'll be fine with regular tuners.

Cheers!

Rick...[laugh]

Archived