Gibson Brands Forums

1934? Gibson Roy Smeck De Luxe

unkovich

I have just recently come in possesion of a Gibson Roy Smeck Deluxe guitar. Been looking online and found that it might be a 1934 or older. Having a closer look inside the body of this guitar noticed some wires leading to a jack at the base. Now looking all over the internet if Gibson released an acoustic/electric model and could not find any. It was my grandfathers guitar and he has had it since he was a teenager, he never used to play with an amp so I wouldnt think he would have an electric setup installed. If you have any info about it being an electric / acoustic please let me know.

Cheers

ps. will post photos asap.

it has the "Gibson Roy Smeck De Luxe" on the head of guitar and the photos I found online match the appearance but a bit scared of plugging it in to be honest. Maybe if I had an amp of the same era.

I found out today that my grandfather never had it installed with electric setup and never played with an amp so maybe he didn't know, i only noticed after looking at the internal bracing to determine the rough year off it,, then "hello" a wire leadin to wat I just thought was a hook for the strap but noticed it was actually a jack inlet. which makes me think if it was a custom made guitar ,

Archived