Gibson Brands Forums

flying with guitar

TobiH

If your flying with an acoustic guitar then a lot of that is good. But electrics are smaller and can typically get by with more than acoustics. I fly with my SG quite often and I've never had a problem getting it on the plane. I normally fly Jet Blue because they are good with musicians. Every one of their airlines I've ever been on the SG in the hardshell case fit fine. With a good two or three feet in length on the end. If you fly in a small jet then you can't put it in a closet as there are no closet's on those. You'll need to fly on a larger airline that has first class seating if you want it in a closet, because if it gets in a closet it will be the first class closet. If your flying first class they will for sure put your guitar in the closet, if not then you still typically have a good chance of getting it in the closet. Most airlines don't have a problem with people trying to get the guitar on the plane and then later gate checking. From my experience it's best to just let the flight crew know what your trying to do and normally they are ok with it.

Funny story, I was flying out and as most know you share the overhead with the row behind you, I got on the plane early and put my guitar up there and sat down. The guy behind me had one of those small suitcases people like to bring on planes, But it wouldn't fit in since my guitar was too long. He got pissed and started yelling at me, the flight attendant came and made him check his bag and let me keep my guitar on the plane since I was there first. So getting on early is a very good idea.

I have bought a lot of my guitars in the states and brought them back to Spain hand carried on the plane with me... I have never had a problem. The one time they insisted that I check it I explained that is was a very valuable vintage guitar that couldn't be replaced and if something were to happen to it they would be liable for any damage. I also explained that it was sensitive to sudden temperature and pressure changes. Suddenly the found room for it in the first class closet. My guitar flew better than I did....

Archived