Gibson Brands Forums

Chet Atkins: Certified Guitar Player

bluixmoon

Well Nashville Public Tele' put on a show named as such: Chet Atkins:Certified Guitar Player.

A certified guitar player, who as a kid, I did not recognize he really was good.... and I do mean great! The show was OK and was a sample of some of the performances he did with other players here and there. But once I met some of his friends here in Guitar Town, and some of their kids, (who I cannot believe are really not robots with guitar amps for brains and guitar strings for nerves), I realized who I had missed.

I was talking with one of the 'younguns' of one of the men Chet also claimed to be one of four Certified Guitar Players in the world, (his named with held out of jealousy), and I asked him who he liked, (besides his dad and Mr. Atkins), as a guitar player...and he said Page!

Well I could tell he did anyway, cause he ripped everything he played the other night in a little Zep Jam. I hated him for being so good... gosh not really, because he actually is a nice humble guy. Still, name with held. But, there are a lot of great players in the world, and I've seen a lot of them. One, I never saw in person, was Chet Atkins. But, his doctor that fixed Chet's worn out thumb joint on left hand, designed the surgery I had to have to keep my playing days still going too. Left thumb CMC joint fusion. So, there's many ways a guitar player can help you in your life... and thanks to Chet and the docs, I still can play... mostly pain free.

I learned a long time ago, as good as you think you are, there are more great players in Nashville that will blow you away. It is like they started playing while still in their Mama's womb. As far as Chet goes, doubt that there will be anyone close to his prowess on the guitar. Their are others that come to mind like Les Paul, these were the pioneers and the standard that we all would love to be 1/2 as good as.

Great shops in Nashville as well, like a kid in a candy store every time I'm up that way.

Archived