Gibson Brands Forums

Songmaker DSR Questions

mjg

Looking for a no frills dread to play in less than idea conditions so that I can keep my higher end guitar safe.

For this one, I want solid wood construction yet need to spend about $1000.

The 3 contenders are the Larrivee D-03R, Martin D-16RGT and now the Gibson Songmaker DSR.

I know build characteristics of all of them but wondering what you Gibby folks thing of the Songmaker?

Your insights are appreciated.

Mike

I'm not sure if this will be much help to you, but here's my experience with a Martin D-16

I have no experience with the Larrivee of Gibson models you mention, but I have a Martin D16 H which I got new in 1993. It's not the same as a D-16 RGT (mainly because it's a mahogany dred!!). However, I have found it to be a very good guitar over the years. Mine has a solid Sitka top and solid mahogany back sides and neck, with a rosewood fingerboard with diamond and slot inlays, and ebony buttons on the tuners. Later models may not have a wooden board (I think they started to use some other material, but I'm not sure). It doesn't stand up against my J-45, or HD-28 for sound quality, but it has a certain character of it's own, and I particularly like the neck profile (which again may have changed)It is loud. (But it took a long time, maybe 10 years to actually open up). I think it was one of the earlier D-16 series that they made and since then I think they may have compromised on materials a bit. I did have a problem with the bridge pins. They started to wear and I could not find any replacements that were big enough for the holes. In the end I contacted Martin who told me they had only ever used one standard size bridge pin and they were smaller than the ones I had. So I posted a bridge pin to Martin and they said they did not have any like them and couldn't understand how I had a guitar that required such large pins. To cut a long story short I had some new pins made out of fossilised Walrus Ivory and they are fine. I have a feeling that maybe the lower end Martins like my D-16 may be made by the less experienced luthiers/ I have no evidence for this, but it does appear that the endpin holes were drilled too large. The options were have it plugged and drilled, get bigger pins custom made, or have a new bridge. I got new pins. However, because the holes were too large and the pins that came with it were only just big enough there is some damage to the bridge plate (as the ball ends on the strings would have been riding up into the bridge holes over the years as a result of oversized holes and inadequate sized pins) and the guitar will probably need a new bridge plate sometime soon. I don't play it that much anymore, but I keep it as it was my first Martin.

Phew . . . hope that didn't bore you too much!!

PS I know someone is going to say it has a lifetime warranty and why didn't I use it? Well I bought the guitar in Texas and I live in the UK. The warranty is in the USA. I would have to mail my guitar to Martin (or the original supplier who may or may not still exist) and then pay again for it to be mailed back. It's not worth the $400-500 postage as I could have a bridge plate repair for less, and I may end up with more damage after a long mail journey like that!

Archived