Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Byrdland Help

E-rock

Hello, My dad just bought what we believe is a 1969 Gibson Byrdland. But when his friend saw it, he thought that it was not authentic, one reason because it's red, (which i guess is rare) and because the 3 position toggle switch is at the top, instead of the bottom like most byrdlands. I'm sort of a guitar guru myself, and it all seems legitimate. The checking is right for its age, and the headstock design is fitting to the byrdland. I was just wondering if anyone might know anything about why the toggle switch is on the top, or if red is rare color. i can post pictures if needed. There seems to be no damage on this guitar at all, or any repairs done to it. It sounds AMAZING! you can't beat that classic tone. But if anyone has any idea, i'd greatly appreciate the help. We aren't sure if it was custom ordered, or if it just is a differnt version of one. Also, on the back of the headstock is written in some sort of marker that has faded over the years, "Lucky Cornelius Jr." along with a long number that makes no sense. So if anyone has any info on the guitar, or even lucky cornelius for that matter, I would greatly appreciate it. i've looked up his name but found nothing.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

• 2 weeks later...
Hello' date=' My dad just bought what we believe is a 1969 Gibson Byrdland. But when his friend saw it, he thought that it was not authentic, one reason because it's red, (which i guess is rare) and because the 3 position toggle switch is at the top, instead of the bottom like most byrdlands. I'm sort of a guitar guru myself, and it all seems legitimate. The checking is right for its age, and the headstock design is fitting to the byrdland. I was just wondering if anyone might know anything about why the toggle switch is on the top, or if red is rare color. i can post pictures if needed. There seems to be no damage on this guitar at all, or any repairs done to it. It sounds AMAZING! you can't beat that classic tone. But if anyone has any idea, i'd greatly appreciate the help. We aren't sure if it was custom ordered, or if it just is a differnt version of one. Also, on the back of the headstock is written in some sort of marker that has faded over the years, "Lucky Cornelius Jr." along with a long number that makes no sense. So if anyone has any info on the guitar, or even lucky cornelius for that matter, I would greatly appreciate it. i've looked up his name but found nothing.

Thanks in advance,

Eric [/quote']

I will try to load photos...

I've seen some pics of rare colours so red could be a possibility.

I suppose the switch could have been moved to the top (though why would someone do that?).

Pics will help. [biggrin]

I did get a photo of the 1969 RED Byrd as my avatar...

Check out the toggle switch on the upper bout...

Create an account with Photobucket.

Once you upload the pic there you'll see some urls for the photo.

Choose the one that says .........there will be an url here.... and then it will end with an [/img

There will be a closing ] bracket after that last img but if I put it there as this example it will actually think it's an image and we won't see the text. [cool]

In your avatar I can see the toggle switch at the top. It'll be good to see more pics --- especially large pics!

Archived