Gibson Brands Forums

Computer technical

TommyK

I have a Lexmark printer/scanner I installed about 6 months ago. Even though the printer is off, when I am just surfing here or elsewhere, the computer goes ding-ding, like when you plug in a memory stick. It does this at random and the printer is OFF, no lights lit, nothing. However there is a light indicator on the printer's panel, "Auto Answer," that blinks on when the computer 'dings'. Then it goes out and the printer is dark. Sometimes the ink cartridge carriage adjusts itself too, but not always.

What is causing this? Is it normal?

first i would try unpluging it for a minute, than plug it back in and see what happens. it could be an led,lcd is out. i forget which one it is. than shut down the computer, wait a minute than reboot. if that doesn't work , remove it and than reinstall it ( the software ) and see what happens. it could be a dll. is corrupted.

My Gear :-)

‘10 LP R0 50th Anniversary Version 3 1/500 (Cherry Burst)

‘09 LP R9 50th Anniversary (Heritage Dark Burst) 1/500, Bought 4-2010 new

‘10 PRS 25th Anniversary Santana Model ,10Top / Santana Yellow

‘09 LP R9 50th. Anniversary 1 of 59 (Rust Burst)

‘09 LP R0 Standard Ebony VOS

‘09 “Wildwood” CS - 356 Quilted maple & Korina

‘05 Les Paul Standard Faded T.B.

‘08 50th comm.edition, G.O.M. Flying V

‘08 July G.O.M. Longhorn Double Cut BV (Trans Blue)

‘08 Firebird VII (metallic red)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (black / rosewood neck)(Fat‘50’s pups)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (natural / maple neck)

1999 MIM Fender Stratocaster ’70’s reissue (white / maple neck)(‘69 pups)

1987 Japan Squier by Fender, Stratocaster (white / maple neck)

1986 Ovation Model # 1767-Legend

‘08 Marshall JVM 210H - 1960 AX Cabinet

‘10 Fender Blues Deluxe reissue

And some pedals

Well... I just blew a long explanation of what it might be. I have an "older" Lexmark scanner/printer.

I'm guessing the problem is in the setup. Your description of the difficulty sounds to me almost as though the piece also has fax capability and something is making it think that it should be on auto-answer to receive faxes.

That and/or some other difficulties in the setup of the "control program" could explain the difficulty. My Lexmark and I believe other similar equipment also will have a code segment that starts when you turn on your computer. Bottom line is that you may think that the printer is "off," but as far as your computer is concerned, it's there to use.

m

Archived